Chinook

  • Gordon Lane
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2003
      The spring edition of the Chinook is now full but I would be more than happy
      to take submissions for the Summer Chinook.

      I am hoping to make the central theme of the Summer Chinook the 1906 Census
      so if anyone has any success stories they would like to share in your search
      of the census please send them to me.

      Any and all stories and articles are welcome and I will advise you when your
      articl is going to be published.

      Remember as a member you are entitled to two surname queries per year, after
      that it is $5 per query. You can see the various queries published in the
      spring edition for examples of what you can have in the Chinook.

      Regards

      Gordon Lane
      Treasurer
      Co-Editor Chinook

      Alberta Family Hisories Society
      http://www.afhs.ab.ca

      Family website
      http://www.rumbolt.com

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Lois Sparling
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 23, 2003

        Losing Battles and Winning the War for Access to the 1906 Census

        Extracting the 1906 census returns of the three prairie provinces from our very reluctant Chief Statistician was no easy feat.  Our National Archivist demanded these records.  A five star government appointed Expert Panel reported that there were no legal or policy reasons to withhold them.  Several very determined Members of Parliament and a Senator tried Private Member's Bills explictly directing that the 1906 census returns be made public.  Waves of petitions and vast numbers of letters and emails got attention but no action from the government.  Some of us got tired of beating our heads against the political brick wall and sued the Federal Government for the release of the 1906 census returns.  The federal Information Commissioner did a very vigorous (if slow) investigation, publicly concluded that this census material must be released to the National Archivist and prepared to commence his own court action to force its release.  Our court date was set for May 8, 2003.  The pro-release lawyers were smelling blood.  Then I received a phone call from the lawyer in charge of the "no-release" government forces telling me that there was about to be an announcement.  He said he would let the content of the announcement be a surprise for me.  It was no surprise that the Feds finally conceded rather than face humiliation in court.  However, I was astounded and thrilled that the 1906 census returns were released online at high noon (Ottawa time) the very day the announcement was made.

        Within hours our transcription of this irreplaceable historical resource was underway.  I found my Wilder ancestors on their homestead in Assiniboia East and my Gettins ancestors on their homestead in Assiniboia West.  When a television crew came by my office at 5:30 that afternoon for an interview, I was able to show them my grandmother, Reta Gettins, age 3, with her family recorded in the census taker's handwriting online.  I have not found my grandfather Sparling in Battleford, Sask. or his future father-in-law in the area that would become Wilkie, Sask.  They must have come west a month or two after the 1906 census was taken.

        At the time I am composing this little article, our efforts are focussed on shaking loose the 1911 census, due to be released this summer.  The government sponsored Bill S-13 proposes holding back unconditional access to the 1911 census returns for an additional 20 years.  After pausing to roll our eyes in disgust, we have presented written and oral submissions to Parliament politely explaining that this is a stupid idea.  I wrote the joint submission of the Alberta Family Histories Society, the Alberta Genealogical Society and the Jewish Genealogical Society (southern Alberta).  Gordon Watts of Port Coquitlam. B.C. flew to Ottawa to appear before the Senate Committee studying Bill S-13 representing the interests of the genealogy/family history community.  By the time you read this, we should know the outcome of this latest round to protect unconditional public access to the historic census after 92 years.  We will not lose because we will never give up.  If there are problems with the census release legislation that is passed in Parliament this spring, we will just keep after them until they fix it.

        Lois Sparling

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 4, 2006
          Dear AFHS members,

          I would like to apologize for the confused labelling and distribution of the Chinook on Monday night. Since my appointment as editor was not confirmed until late August and then was away for two weeks followed by a week of the flu, it was very difficult to put the first Chinook together in time. Also this was my first time so the learning curve was high despite the able help of the former Chinook editors and other people. Even though the printers took 1/3 of the time they nornally take to print the Chinook, the delivery was not until Monday. The printers sent the copies via courier to my place. They were promised by 4 p.m. but they were not delivered until 6 p.m. I was planning on labelling from 4:00 until 5:30 and then bringing them to the meeting. Since they were not delivered until 6 p.m. I was not able to do the labelling.

          I used the membership list provided but understand that several members did not have labels. I am not sure why this happened since I checked that all there were labels for everyone on the list.

          All I can offer is that the next issues will be done in a more timely manner. As for the labels, I am not sure who is supposed to do them or who will do them next time. I did them this time due to the crunched time limit.

          I would like to thank all those who helped me. For example, Bev Swan was assembling a crew to do labelling but with the late delivery, every plan went out the window. She still accepted delivery of them at the meeting and took the undistributed issues home to label and distribute. She did this even though it was not her job to do so. We need a publications committee to handle things, such as labelling and distributing as well as people to proofread the pdf before I send it to the printers. So if you are willing to volunteer, please contact Bev Swan. If you were not happy with the way things transpired, then help be sure it doesn't happen again. I always say to myself - "If you don't like it, don't complain. Instead take action to make sure it doesn't happen again."

          I received many articles thanks to those who sent them in and others who had a good eye for articles to include, if permission was granted. Thank you to you all. I hope you will continue to do so and hope others also participate actively by sending in success stories, brickwalls or anything in between that will be of interest and help to the readers - which includes members of our society and of other societies with whom we exchange journals.

          You too can see your name in print if you send in an article for publication. The deadline for the January issue is November 15. So please send me articles and tips on other inclusions for this issue. I and all the readers of Chinook will appreciate it.

          Xenia Stanford (president@...)

          Editor, Chinook

          SIGS Contact: Ukrainian, French, Métis

          Phone: 295-3490; Fax: 274-0564

          Alberta Family Histories Society

          http://www.afhs.ab.ca/
        • william campbell
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 4, 2006
            Hi Xenia:

            I said it Monday evening and I'm saying it now. When the CHINOOKs arrived I said, "This is a miracle!"

            You did a superb job under very difficult time lines and minimal direction.  Imagine how easy it is going to be next time! :-)

            Yes, thanks to all that supported you when the going was so rough. I do hope that everyone appreciates the unselfish effort you put into it.

            Best wishes

            BILL CAMPBELL

            Xenia Stanford wrote:
[...]

            No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.407 / Virus Database: 268.12.13/463 - Release Date: 10/4/2006

            --
            WILLIAM CAMPBELL
            CALGARY, Alberta, CANADA

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 4, 2006
              Thanks Bill,

              I also heard from some members who had helped with the labelling so they were not aware of any problems. Thanks to all of you whomever you are. As I said in my editorial, it is the work of many volunteers that makes this society run smoothly. This is why I threw my hat into the ring to help - one more pair of hands to add to the others in making our society great.