1906 Census Progress

  • Judith Rempel
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2003
      Progress continues on the transcription of the 1906 census with the help
      of 30 volunteer transcribers. 811 pages are now transcribed and online
      - 3.8% of all pages are done.

      Have you looked at a portion of the census for your own resarch needs?
      Why not take the time to transcribe the whole page (or surrounding
      pages) and submit it for preparation on our website.

      See:
      http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/index.html
      for the 1906 homepage and links to tipsheets

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/new.html
      for what's new on the site - updated daily

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/transcribers.html
      for the 30 transcribers

      and
      http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/alberta/19/index.html
      for the work that has been done and needs to be done for the Calgary
      subdistrict. One major pdf file went online for Subdistrict 9 - thanks
      to the substantial effort of Elizabeth Rodier as well as Marg McCready &
      Al Muise-Benner.

      Calgary City sections stil need to be done: subdistrict 26A / 26B /
      26C. Spencer Field is working on 26D.

      Elizabeth advises: "those would be easier for local people to do without
      needing to learn the land descriptions of the rural areas".

      "Between sub-section 9 at 50th Ave and Midnapore is already done as 7b.
      Sub-district 7a from Midnapore south is a small set of pages that could
      have a note. "

      "Rather fun to find out how many horses lived in the mile-square section
      where one's current residence is located."

      Some AFHS members said they were interested in Crossfield, Airdrie and
      Banff - but those pages aren't done yet.

      If you're unsure about where to start, send technical questions to me.
      Geographical questions can be answered with the help of the geographical
      aids posted on our tipsheets (or by asking for Elizabeth's help
      <cerear@...>.

      And, visit the 1906 Census table at the break on Monday night - we'll
      have printed transcripts, blank transcription sheets, maps... and
      enthusiasm to share.

      --
      In Kinship,
      Judith Rempel, Webster