Fixing wanted senders blocked by mistake

  • E.Rodier
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 23, 2003
      For Outlook Express, go to Tools, Message Rules, Blocked Senders List. It
      takes two clicks to remove a name that was blocked by mistake. Click Remove,
      then Yes.

      Some of the mailing list participants are asking for information but have
      blocked senders in their attempts to control spam. Blocked sender messages
      go to the DELETE folder. Blocking could result in loss of valuable
      information from your own relatives or close friends. A quick thanks is
      always appreciated when someone has shared information -- otherwise the
      sender wonders if you are ill or having computer problems.

      Be sure to include a meaningful subject and message in the body of an e-mail
      when you want your messages with attachments to be opened. Otherwise it
      looks like a spammer might have used your address book to forward
      advertising or a virus.

      I don't think it makes much difference to the volume of spam if a person has
      a common name or a series of initials for their e-mail address.
      cerear@... is based on husband's initials and my initials. One
      mailing address and messages are usually read in the order received,
      sometimes sorted by subject when I get behind.

      I've just cleaned out my blocked sender list because most of the spam was
      from made-up addresses used only once or twice. Mail is sent and received in
      plain text to avoid looking at some of the spam pictures. A quick delete is
      easier than a rule for messages containing unwanted words. The spammers use
      very common words in subject lines anyway.
      Elizabeth

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • owner dist gen
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 23, 2003
        On Sunday, Feb 23, 2003, at 14:15 Canada/Mountain, E.Rodier wrote:

        > A quick delete is
        > easier than a rule for messages containing unwanted words. The
        > spammers use
        > very common words in subject lines anyway.
        > Elizabeth

        I guess it depends on the rules. I find that they can work fairly well
        on at least some of the mail (Hot, XXX, more than 3 !, you can imagine
        the others based on your spam). I feel it doesn't hurt to add them, if
        it stops just a few, it saves me time.