1906 Census - Rocky View post office & NW Calgary

  • E.Rodier
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 16, 2003
      Need some help with 1906 census puzzles for sub-district 9 which goes all
      the way around "downtown" Calgary.

      Where was the Calgary Industrial School located? Guessing west of
      Southminster church where AFHS meetings are held but pictures on the Glenbow
      web site don't give a location. Anglican clergyman was the principal.

      Rocky View post office Sec. 36, Twp. 24, R. 29, W4M was open from 1906 to
      1916 and first noticed on census page 65. Some of the farms in Twp 24, Range
      29 W4 are in the online land database so I was able to confirm a Barker
      surname was not Baker.

      Page 68 has the Reilly family north of the Bow River & Hillhurst. Haven't
      come to any names north of Riverside area as yet. Sub-Section 9 finished up
      with page 93 Eau Claire in the bend of the Bow River downtown.

      I'm working offline with large one page TIF images converted from Mr Sid,
      clarified with contrast increased. One page printouts are helpful to see the
      location columns. There are a few clusters of people born in Sweden or
      Norway but most in sub-district 9 are from other parts of Canada, Britain or
      US.
      Elizabeth

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Carol Lylyk
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 16, 2003
        1890- 1914
        Blood students attended two church schools.
        1. The Calgary Industrial School for Anglicans and
        2. The Dunbow Catholic Mission School.
        These schools were for all Indians in Alberta and some from
        Saskatchewan. Dunbow was east of Calgary. Blood students
        left reservation and did not return until they left these
        institutions. Both were residences.

        That was about all that Google had on the school. There was a lot about Senator James B. Gladstone
        who attended the school.

        Carol Lylyk

        > Need some help with 1906 census puzzles for sub-district 9 which goes all
        > the way around "downtown" Calgary.
        >
        > Where was the Calgary Industrial School located? Guessing west of
        > Southminster church where AFHS meetings are held but pictures on the Glenbow
        > web site don't give a location. Anglican clergyman was the principal.

        ---