Re: another reference for land descriptions

  • Charlie Hansen
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 12, 2003
      On 11 Feb 2003, Lorna Laughton wrote:

      > The AFHS library has a booklet that might help you find Alberta land
      > descriptions - range, township, section, even thoughthe booklet is
      > more recent than 1906.
      >
      > It is called "1993 Alberta Municipalities Urban and Rural". The shelf
      > call number is 971.23 ALBE 1993.

      Some of the Municipal Districts periodically publish maps showing all
      sections within the MD (but not subdivided land) and indicating their
      legal descriptions. They also listed the current landowner at the
      time of publication. They were available from the MD but may not be
      available any more due to privacy regulations. I purchased one for
      Rockyview MD for 1974 when we owned property within the MD.

      If you are interested in property within the Nose Creek area north of
      Calgary, the book "100 Years of Nose Creek Valley History" contains a
      map in a pocket at the back of the book, showing Township and Range
      numbers for that area. It lists all of the owners of each property
      since the original settlers on the appropriate numbered section. If
      the original settlers are from the 1800s, they are highlighted on
      each quarter section. It is listed as available at the Castell
      library as call #971.233 ONE. Hope that it still has the map. It
      covers the area from the airport (McKnight Blvd. & Barlow Trail) 8
      miles east, 10 miles west and north 12 miles to the Big Springs
      highway.

      Regards,

      Charlie Hansen