another reference for land descriptions

  • Lorna Laughton
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 11, 2003
      Message

      The AFHS library has a booklet that might help you find Alberta land descriptions - range, township, section, even though the booklet is more recent than 1906.

      It is called "1993 Alberta Municipalities Urban and Rural". The shelf call number is 971.23 ALBE 1993.

      This booklet can also help identify the County or Municipal District that a locality is currently located in.

      A big 'THANK YOU' to John Doyle who recently donated this to the library!

      Lorna Laughton

    • Charlie Hansen
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 12, 2003
        On 11 Feb 2003, Lorna Laughton wrote:

        > The AFHS library has a booklet that might help you find Alberta land
        > descriptions - range, township, section, even thoughthe booklet is
        > more recent than 1906.
        >
        > It is called "1993 Alberta Municipalities Urban and Rural". The shelf
        > call number is 971.23 ALBE 1993.

        Some of the Municipal Districts periodically publish maps showing all
        sections within the MD (but not subdivided land) and indicating their
        legal descriptions. They also listed the current landowner at the
        time of publication. They were available from the MD but may not be
        available any more due to privacy regulations. I purchased one for
        Rockyview MD for 1974 when we owned property within the MD.

        If you are interested in property within the Nose Creek area north of
        Calgary, the book "100 Years of Nose Creek Valley History" contains a
        map in a pocket at the back of the book, showing Township and Range
        numbers for that area. It lists all of the owners of each property
        since the original settlers on the appropriate numbered section. If
        the original settlers are from the 1800s, they are highlighted on
        each quarter section. It is listed as available at the Castell
        library as call #971.233 ONE. Hope that it still has the map. It
        covers the area from the airport (McKnight Blvd. & Barlow Trail) 8
        miles east, 10 miles west and north 12 miles to the Big Springs
        highway.

        Regards,

        Charlie Hansen