Re: Getting to Know MrSid & Transcribing 1906 Census pages successfully.

  • E.Rodier
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 10, 2003
      1891 and 1901 rural or small town census districts were small enough that it
      was easy to look through a whole section of microfilm for Calgary.

      Consider the adventures we are having with 1906 census to find known
      individuals with a specific house address 510 and 512 - 5th Ave SW like Gord
      Hulbert's Cousins relatives in Calgary.

      By 1911 census there was a rapid increase in population in the cities,
      province of Alberta and elsewhere. It takes time to transcribe each page of
      40 names even when handwriting and clarity of online images are good.

      Anyone planning to wait for a name index for the 1911 census can get a head
      start by finding "someone" from a district of interest in the 1906 census
      and at the same time contribute to the AFHS transcription project by
      e-mailing their spreadsheet with data to Webster@...

      A local history often has the farm land locations for early settlers.
      http://www.archives.ca/02/020111_e.html Land grants for 1870-1930 can be
      searched. Some of our relatives came west to work for pioneers who had land
      or businesses in known locations. I've just checked the land grant for a
      family that lived NW of Calgary.

      The family ranch didn't move but the district changed postal names several
      times during the 1890's when the children were born. They happened to be in
      a Calgary census because the father of the children worked for Pat Burns in
      Calgary. One of the daughters born in NWT was a secretary to Pat Burns
      before WWI, lived to be 102 and buried at Union Cemetery with her
      grandmother who died in 1906.
      Elizabeth