Re: Tip for using MrSid Viewer for 1906 Census images

  • Judith Rempel
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 7, 2003
      Excellent tips, Charlie. I think this will be a lot of help to everyone
      who uses the MRSid plugin - even if their system isn't precisely the
      same as yours. This builds on suggestions provided by Elizabeth Rodier
      and others to this list.

      I've captured the advice below and placed it onto the AFHS website as a
      link from the 1906 transcription homepage (url below).

      Also, I've had someone volunteer to transcribe who don't have "standard"
      tools (PC with Windows & Excel):

      a) MacIntosh - there are ways to save a MAC Excel spreadsheet so it can
      be read in PC format

      b) Quattro Pro - I've saved a copy of the Excel spreadsheet in
      QuattroPro format and made it available on the 1906 transcription
      homepage. Unfortunately Excel only permits saving into a very early
      form of QuattroPro (.wq1), but it should do the trick here

      c) MS Works - my recent reading tells me that it and Excel 2000+ are
      fully incompatible. Sigh. But, the helpfiles indicate that a .dbf file
      can be ready by both MS Works and Excel. So, I've built a version of
      the template as a .dbf file and put that online on the 1906 census
      transcription homepage as well.

      Spread the word. The majority of transcribers are AFHS folks. If
      you're on a 'list' with potentially interested parties in western Canada
      (less likely in other places) - please let them know about the helpfiles
      that we've put online and the invitation to e-publish their
      transcription work.

      Charlie Hansen wrote:
      > I have found the following steps to speed up moving around on the
      > census image pages. This is when using IE 5.5 under Windows ME. My
      > default monitor setting is 800 x 600 pixels for this.
      >
      > When the census image appears in the new window, maximize the window
      > size. (You can change it later if you want to view two windows on
      > your screen for transcribing).
      >
      > Right click on the image.
      >
      > Click on Frame Size.
      >
      > Select Custom Size and enter 2048 for width (the maximum MrSid
      > allows) and 1200 or a similar value for height and click on OK.
      >
      > Right click on the image again.
      >
      > Put your cursor over Scale and select 1:2 (50%)

      <snip>

      --
      In Kinship,
      Judith Rempel, Webster