Tip for using MrSid Viewer for 1906 Census images

  • Charlie Hansen
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 6, 2003
      I have found the following steps to speed up moving around on the
      census image pages. This is when using IE 5.5 under Windows ME. My
      default monitor setting is 800 x 600 pixels for this.

      When the census image appears in the new window, maximize the window
      size. (You can change it later if you want to view two windows on
      your screen for transcribing).

      Right click on the image.

      Click on Frame Size.

      Select Custom Size and enter 2048 for width (the maximum MrSid
      allows) and 1200 or a similar value for height and click on OK.

      Right click on the image again.

      Put your cursor over Scale and select 1:2 (50%)

      Your will now be able to use your scroll bars to quickly move around
      the 2 page image instead of using the MrSid hand. You might have to
      adjust the position slightly to get all of data covered. You can
      check on the coverage by right clicking on the image and then
      clicking on Image Properties to see the actual area that you can
      scroll around.

      At this stage, if you wish, you can either print the image (select
      Entire Image) in landscape mode, or save the file as a bitmap image
      (*.bmp) for editing in a photo program.

      The advantage of the above is the you can quickly move around the
      page with your scroll bars and the image will not have to reload from
      the server each time you move to another area. This should help those
      using a dial-up line. The disadvantages are that it takes longer to
      load the image the first time and that the image needs more available
      Ram memory. You will have to repeat these settings each time you go
      to a different census page as the MrSid defaults appear to be
      determined by the National Archives server when you load each image.

      Hope that you find this tip useful.

      Charlie Hansen
      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Judith Rempel
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 7, 2003
        Excellent tips, Charlie. I think this will be a lot of help to everyone
        who uses the MRSid plugin - even if their system isn't precisely the
        same as yours. This builds on suggestions provided by Elizabeth Rodier
        and others to this list.

        I've captured the advice below and placed it onto the AFHS website as a
        link from the 1906 transcription homepage (url below).

        Also, I've had someone volunteer to transcribe who don't have "standard"
        tools (PC with Windows & Excel):

        a) MacIntosh - there are ways to save a MAC Excel spreadsheet so it can
        be read in PC format

        b) Quattro Pro - I've saved a copy of the Excel spreadsheet in
        QuattroPro format and made it available on the 1906 transcription
        homepage. Unfortunately Excel only permits saving into a very early
        form of QuattroPro (.wq1), but it should do the trick here

        c) MS Works - my recent reading tells me that it and Excel 2000+ are
        fully incompatible. Sigh. But, the helpfiles indicate that a .dbf file
        can be ready by both MS Works and Excel. So, I've built a version of
        the template as a .dbf file and put that online on the 1906 census
        transcription homepage as well.

        Spread the word. The majority of transcribers are AFHS folks. If
        you're on a 'list' with potentially interested parties in western Canada
        (less likely in other places) - please let them know about the helpfiles
        that we've put online and the invitation to e-publish their
        transcription work.

        Charlie Hansen wrote:
        > I have found the following steps to speed up moving around on the
        > census image pages. This is when using IE 5.5 under Windows ME. My
        > default monitor setting is 800 x 600 pixels for this.
        >
        > When the census image appears in the new window, maximize the window
        > size. (You can change it later if you want to view two windows on
        > your screen for transcribing).
        >
        > Right click on the image.
        >
        > Click on Frame Size.
        >
        > Select Custom Size and enter 2048 for width (the maximum MrSid
        > allows) and 1200 or a similar value for height and click on OK.
        >
        > Right click on the image again.
        >
        > Put your cursor over Scale and select 1:2 (50%)

        <snip>

        --
        In Kinship,
        Judith Rempel, Webster