Re: Reading Census Records

  • E.Rodier
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2003
      Lots of fun reading the 1906 census records for Calgary and learning more
      than I ever knew about the family home sections in South Calgary and Mount
      Royal. Very few occupations are listed so it is a big help to know names of
      neighbors who are listed in the 1906 directory (or later.)

      Some researchers are waiting for the release of the 1911 census expecting
      that they will find names with the exact spelling in an index -- that would
      be pure luck for a number of reasons.

      NOW is the time to start looking for the names of neighbors in the 1901 and
      1906 census. Collect maps showing changes as each district was settled.
      Areas of Calgary (2003) in the 1906 census are variously described by land
      description, voting ward, block and lot numbers. Many people lived in little
      clusters on the edge of the city limits. 1905 map is helpful but not large
      enough to read the lot numbers like the rolled 1891 map.

      Growth of population from City of Calgary handbook
      1884 residents 506
      1891 census 3876
      1901 census 4091 -- printed census index missed a few
      1906 census 11,967
      1911 census 43,704
      Elizabeth