FW: war guest in Calgary- Jessica Mann

  • James A. N. Mackie
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 5, 2003
      FW: war guest in Calgary- Jessica Mann Hi Judi,

      Further to my previous message where I indicated I would check with people I know in our area i.e. Elbow Park. Without too much trouble I talked to a friend who lives in the house the Palmers occupied. He said he knew Joan Gordon very well, had visited her in Vancouver and would contact her an explain the situation relating to Jessica Mann and get back to me.

      As indicated below, I sent him copies of all the replies you got on dist-gen which I thought would give some background and authenticate the reason for me asking him this favour.

      Within a few days, he sent me copies of two e-mail messages he had sent to Jessica. One had  photographs of the inside of the house and of Mrs. Palmer and Joan on the front steps of the House. The second contained a long e-mail message to advising her of his call to Joan and providing her with Joan's address and Tel. No. in Vancouver and advising her that Joan would love to hear from her. The message also gave Jessica a lot of information Rod had about the Palmers and a photograph of Dr. Palmer and more photos of the inside of the House. It is a very large 3 story house.

      I thought that the others who did so much work trying to assist Jessica would like to know that contact with the Palmer's daughter and Jessica has been established.

      James A.N. Mackie, Q.C.
      Historian, SAPD
      2920 - Park Lane S.W.
      Calgary, AB. CAN T2S 2L7
      e-mail <janma@...>
      Web Site: http://pioneersalberta.org

      ----------
      From: James A. N. Mackie <janma@...>
      Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 16:41:05 +0800
      To: Rod MacDonald <rdm.int@...>
      Subject: FW: war guest in Calgary- Jessica Mann

      Hi Rod,

      Here is the initial message. I will forward all the messages that have been posted. Some may have incorrect information and others may be relevant. Everyone has been trying to assist Jessica.

      Thanks for your interest. As we discussed on the phone, I understand you know Joan Gordon, the Palmers daughter who lives in Vancouver, and know quite a bit about the Palmers through your visits with her. I think you said there was a son in the Ontario. Perhaps Jessica might like to contact both of them. I also understand you will contact Jessica direct and see if you can be of any help. You will see her e-mail address below.

      I would be interested to hear of the outcome.

      I will forward the rest of the messages for your information without any comments

      Yours Aye
      James A.N. Mackie, Q.C.
      Historian, SAPD
      2920 - Park Lane S.W.
      Calgary, AB. CAN T2S 2L7
      Tel/Fax 1-403-2284046

      From: Judi Lee <judi.lee@...>
      Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 10:42:41 -0700
      To: "Dist-Gen@Rumbolt. Com" <dist-gen@...>
      Subject: FW: war guest in Calgary

      Is there anyone on this list that can help this woman?
      I am a British author  writing a book, to be published in 2004, by Headline in association with the Imperial War Museum, on the subject of the overseas evacuation of children during The Second World War. I was myself  a 'War guest' in Calgary, aged 2, and would like to find information  about my 'foster parents', Dr John  & Mrs Margery Palmer of Elbow Drive. Can you advise me where to start my search? Debbie, from the Calgary Historical  Society, suggested asking you, as I'd requested an email address to which to direct my inquiry.  I'd be most grateful for your help. Jessica Mann.

    • Judi Lee
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 6, 2003
        Message
        Dear James,
        Thank you for following up on this story.  I'm sure that Jessica is thrilled with the result.  It's amazing what can be accomplished when people work together and share their expertise.
        Judi Lee

        From: Judi Lee <judi.lee@...>
        Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 10:42:41 -0700
        To: "Dist-Gen@Rumbolt. Com" <dist-gen@...>