Fw: Reading Census Records

  • Ellen Kinghorn
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2003
      To Dist-gen Readers:
      Thought some of you might enjoy the following.....

      Ellen Kinghorn
      Email: ellen@...
      Webpage: www.kinghorn.ca

      Ever wonder why census reports are sometimes less-than-accurate? This job description was printed in the Vermont Genealogical Society's Branches & Twigs:

           "I am a cencus taker for the city of Bufflow. Our city has groan very fast in recent years and now, in 1865, it has becum a hard and time consooming job to count all the peephill. Thare is not meny that can do this werk, as it is necesarie to have a ejucashun, which a lot of pursons still do not have. Another atribeart needed for this job is good speling, for meny of the peephill to be caounted can hardle speek inglish, let alone spel there name."

      (The editor added with tongue-in-cheek, "Pity the poor reserchers triing to reed the Bufflow centsus rekurds.")