Re: Unreadable 1906 census pages

  • E.Rodier
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 4, 2003
      1906 Census Records at the National Archives

      In 1955, the Dominion Bureau of Statistics5 was authorized by the Public
      Records Committee6 to film and destroy the original paper records of the
      1906 Census. As a result, only a microfilm copy of the 1906 census exists as
      an archival holding. The microfilming of these records was not of consistent
      quality and not all images are decipherable. Unfortunately, the destruction
      of the paper records means that there is no recourse when a record is
      unreadable.

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Lois Sparling
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 5, 2003
        Dear Diane

        The paper returns were destroyed long ago.  All there is left is the microfilm which is less than well done.  It might be possible that a rescan would help but I doubt it.

        Lois Sparling

        Diane Hunter wrote:
        Does anyone know if it's possible to request pages be recopied by Stats Can - a lot of the pages (especially at bottom right) in the area I need are all but useless, they're so black.

        For example:
            Saskatchewan
            District 14 (Mackenzie)
            Subdistrict 22
            Pages 16,13

        Is the microfilm at the main library likely to be any better?

        Thanx for any suggestions.

        Diane Hunter