Re: Unreadable 1906 census pages

  • E.Rodier
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 4, 2003
      1906 Census Records at the National Archives

      In 1955, the Dominion Bureau of Statistics5 was authorized by the Public
      Records Committee6 to film and destroy the original paper records of the
      1906 Census. As a result, only a microfilm copy of the 1906 census exists as
      an archival holding. The microfilming of these records was not of consistent
      quality and not all images are decipherable. Unfortunately, the destruction
      of the paper records means that there is no recourse when a record is
      unreadable.

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Judith Rempel
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 5, 2003
        Good strategy, Carol.

        For all interested in MacKenzie - some of the pages are begin
        transcribed by Lois Sparling. I'm just a bit behind in my documenting
        the transcription efforts.

        AFHS contributions to this effort are going swimmingly!
        I'll go online immediately and update the transcription commitments on
        the Mackenzie page - so anyone viewing them after about 6am should get a
        current picture of what coming in the next few days.

        --
        In Kinship,
        Judith Rempel, Webster

        and