Unreadable 1906 census pages

  • Diane Hunter
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 4, 2003
      Does anyone know if it's possible to request pages be recopied by Stats Can - a lot of the pages (especially at bottom right) in the area I need are all but useless, they're so black.

      For example:
          Saskatchewan
          District 14 (Mackenzie)
          Subdistrict 22
          Pages 16,13

      Is the microfilm at the main library likely to be any better?

      Thanx for any suggestions.

      Diane Hunter
    • Carol Lylyk
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 4, 2003
        Hello Diane,
        That page is terrible but I would imagine what is on the film at the library would likely be the same.  I saved a portion of it and then opened it in a photo program and lightened it up and it is actually readable.  I will send you a message separately with an attachment and you can see what I mean.  It only covers part of the page as I was just trying it out.

        Carol Lylyk
        Calgary
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 4, 2003
          I made a few copies from the Mackenzie district this evening off the
          microfilm. It is not great but quite readable. They were not from
          sub-district 22 but from 20, 28 and 29. The copies I viewed were light and
          faded, rather than "black"
          Spencer Field

          > Does anyone know if it's possible to request pages be recopied by Stats
          Can - a lot of the pages (especially at bottom right) in the area I need are
          all but useless, they're so black.

          > For example:
          > Saskatchewan
          > District 14 (Mackenzie)
          > Subdistrict 22
          > Pages 16,13
          >
          > Is the microfilm at the main library likely to be any better?
          >
          > Thanx for any suggestions.
          >
          > Diane Hunter

          http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        • E.Rodier
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 4, 2003
            1906 Census Records at the National Archives

            In 1955, the Dominion Bureau of Statistics5 was authorized by the Public
            Records Committee6 to film and destroy the original paper records of the
            1906 Census. As a result, only a microfilm copy of the 1906 census exists as
            an archival holding. The microfilming of these records was not of consistent
            quality and not all images are decipherable. Unfortunately, the destruction
            of the paper records means that there is no recourse when a record is
            unreadable.

            http://www.afhs.ab.ca
          • Judith Rempel
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 5, 2003
              Good strategy, Carol.

              For all interested in MacKenzie - some of the pages are begin
              transcribed by Lois Sparling. I'm just a bit behind in my documenting
              the transcription efforts.

              AFHS contributions to this effort are going swimmingly!
              I'll go online immediately and update the transcription commitments on
              the Mackenzie page - so anyone viewing them after about 6am should get a
              current picture of what coming in the next few days.

              --
              In Kinship,
              Judith Rempel, Webster

              and