Re: Check my web page please?

  • Charlie Hansen
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 15, 2002
      Eileen recently asked for feedback on her webpage. Judith and others have
      responded, but I thought it might be of interest to them and others that
      the new version 7.0 Release 1 of the Netscape browser worked fine with
      both her original version and her current version, unlike version 4.75
      which gave very large text on the earlier version, but is OK now.

      I also have had problems with NS 4.75 coming up with blank pages on
      certain URLs and previously had to revert to IE 5.5 to view them, but NS
      7.0 works fine.

      I like Netscape 7.0 and plan to use it when I get my bookmarks moved and
      edited. (I don't like IE). I haven't tried it for email or newsgroups yet,
      as I have just installed an upgraded version 4.02 of Pegasus email client.
      I have always used some version of Pegasus and like it for its extensive
      mail filtering rules and configurable desktop layout.

      Regards,

      Charlie Hansen
    • Eileen McElroy
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 15, 2002
        Hi Charlie:

        Thanks so much for taking the time to view my page and respond to me. I
        appreciate your help.

        Regards,
        Eileen

        At 10:41 AM 15/08/2002 -0600, you wrote:
        >Eileen recently asked for feedback on her webpage. Judith and others have
        >responded, but I thought it might be of interest to them and others that
        >the new version 7.0 Release 1 of the Netscape browser worked fine with
        >both her original version and her current version, unlike version 4.75
        >which gave very large text on the earlier version, but is OK now.
        >
        >I also have had problems with NS 4.75 coming up with blank pages on
        >certain URLs and previously had to revert to IE 5.5 to view them, but NS
        >7.0 works fine.
        >
        >I like Netscape 7.0 and plan to use it when I get my bookmarks moved and
        >edited. (I don't like IE). I haven't tried it for email or newsgroups yet,
        >as I have just installed an upgraded version 4.02 of Pegasus email client.
        >I have always used some version of Pegasus and like it for its extensive
        >mail filtering rules and configurable desktop layout.
        >
        >Regards,
        >
        >Charlie Hansen
        >http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        >http://www.family-roots.ca

      • Mary Arthur
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 15, 2002
          I am also using Netscape 7 (beta) and am happy with it as well. I use it
          for some mail. It is nice as I have three addresses set up to get mail
          on it (two from telus - one from netscape) and am able to post from my
          'throw away' yahoo address if I wish to as well . (not fool proof but
          one way to reduce spam). I think the thing I like most is that you can
          open pages in a new tab instead of a new window (not always) so it is
          easier to jump back to googol (or whatever) and open another page.

          Mary Arthur

          Charlie Hansen wrote:

          >Eileen recently asked for feedback on her webpage. Judith and others have
          >responded, but I thought it might be of interest to them and others that
          >the new version 7.0 Release 1 of the Netscape browser worked fine with
          >both her original version and her current version, unlike version 4.75
          >which gave very large text on the earlier version, but is OK now.
          >
          >I also have had problems with NS 4.75 coming up with blank pages on
          >certain URLs and previously had to revert to IE 5.5 to view them, but NS
          >7.0 works fine.
          >
          >I like Netscape 7.0 and plan to use it when I get my bookmarks moved and
          >edited. (I don't like IE). I haven't tried it for email or newsgroups yet,
          >as I have just installed an upgraded version 4.02 of Pegasus email client.
          >I have always used some version of Pegasus and like it for its extensive
          >mail filtering rules and configurable desktop layout.
          >
          >Regards,
          >
          >Charlie Hansen
          >http://www.afhs.ab.ca
          >http://www.family-roots.ca

        • Judith Rempel
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 16, 2002
            Charlie Hansen wrote:

            > I also have had problems with NS 4.75 coming up with blank pages on
            > certain URLs and previously had to revert to IE 5.5 to view them, but NS
            > 7.0 works fine.

            The reason is not the limitation of the browser in all likelihood. Most
            of the time when NN fails to show pp properly, it's because the webcodes
            behind the scene are corrupted. IE is more tolerant of "bad code" than
            Netscare ever has.

            Brief example.

            Tables are used to layout data as well as other features in a website.
            Good code will specify:

            a) that a table has begun <table> and ended </table>

            b) that a ROW of information has begun <tr> and ended </tr>

            and

            c) that each cell in that row has begun <td> and ended </td>

            Some softwares, and coders can get sloppy and forget the terminating
            codes. That results in gobbeldy gook to Netscape.

            While it just doesn't work in Netscape and it looks like Netscape is the
            problem, it's really the human behind the code who hasn't done their
            homework. Such terminating codes are part of the html standards set by
            W3C (guys/gals who made up the basic html rules long ago and continue to
            do so).

            Good design ensures that the material is viewable in all commonly-used
            browsers (aka universal design).

            P.S. Not all the AFHS pp are up to standard at the present time - some
            detailed sections are ungoing a technical cleanup to incorporate more
            automation at my end - and have some known visual bugs. (<p> tags
            aren't terminated with </p> throughout - that's a standard that has
            evolved and I need to catch another few hundred of our pages up to
            standard as I get the time in Aug/Sep).

            --
            In Kinship,
            Judith Rempel, Webster

            and

            afhs@...

            Canadian Genealogical Projects Register
            http://www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/

            FamilyRoots 2002
          • Lesley Stuart-Smith
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 18, 2002
              Hi Eileen,

              Catching up on last week's email - sorry for being so tardy! :-)

              I think your webpage looks great - colors are unobtrusive, graphics are appropriate, content is useful.

              I agree that it would be nice to have a "back home" link on every page, and a 'mailto' on the front page.

              I always think it's nice to have a vanity page as well -- a little something about the webster.

              Cheers, Lesley