Re: 1906 Census Blairmore help needed

  • metcalfd@telus.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2003
      Hi Cynthia,

      I think the keyword field is just for when you know the name of the district or
      subdistrict, but not the appropriate numbers. If you're lucky enough that your
      locale is the same as a district or subdistrict name, you'll get hits; but if
      your dealing with a smaller locale inside a subdistrict, the search engine
      won't find it. Carol Lylyk is quite right, if you know the district and
      subdistrict numbers, just use the numbers with no words at all.

      All the best,
      Joyce

      Quoting Cynthia Milligan <milligac@...>:

      > I have been trying to access the census for Blairmore but just come up with
      > no record found. I have been using Alberta, District 18, Sub District 20
      > and various keywords but nothing seems to work. Can someone tell me what I
      > might be doing wrong or what I can try. Thanks. Cynthia.

    • Judith Rempel
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 3, 2003
        Carol's correct. But, I'm hoping that as transcriptions go onto the
        AFHS website, "Blairmore" will show up as a post office location (It's
        not expressly listed by National Archives in any of their pages) - and
        then our own search engine at
        <http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/index.html> will be able to help.

        In the meantime, know that Blairmore is in SW Alberta, and so likely in
        District #18 <http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/alberta/18/index.html>.

        then, you'll need to consult a map (you can try some of the ones listed
        at: http://www.archives.ca/02/02015304/0201530401_e.html#Alberta) to
        determine what the Sec/Twp/Rge/Mer coordinates are - I'm betting that
        Sub-Distict 6 might be the right one for you.

        This will let you choose the correct image pages from the comprehensive
        list compiled at:
        http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/alberta/18/index.html

        If there was a time to learn the Sec/Twp/Rge/Mer system - this is it!

        --
        In Kinship,
        Judith Rempel, Webster

        and

        webster@...

        Canadian Genealogical Projects Register
        http://www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/

        1906 Census Transcription Centre
        http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/

        http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      • Charles Aubin
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 4, 2003
          Hi All:
          District #18, Sub#20 is also for Coleman and Lillith from the pages I
          had a look at
          reguards Charlie