Re: 1906 Census Blairmore help needed

  • Carol Lylyk
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2003
      Hello Cynthia
      Just put in the District and Sub District Numbers and nothing else. Keywords seem to confuse the
      search engine.

      Carol Lylyk
      Calgary
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 3, 2003
        Hi Cynthia,

        I think the keyword field is just for when you know the name of the district or
        subdistrict, but not the appropriate numbers. If you're lucky enough that your
        locale is the same as a district or subdistrict name, you'll get hits; but if
        your dealing with a smaller locale inside a subdistrict, the search engine
        won't find it. Carol Lylyk is quite right, if you know the district and
        subdistrict numbers, just use the numbers with no words at all.

        All the best,
        Joyce

        Quoting Cynthia Milligan <milligac@...>:

        > I have been trying to access the census for Blairmore but just come up with
        > no record found. I have been using Alberta, District 18, Sub District 20
        > and various keywords but nothing seems to work. Can someone tell me what I
        > might be doing wrong or what I can try. Thanks. Cynthia.

      • Judith Rempel
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 3, 2003
          Carol's correct. But, I'm hoping that as transcriptions go onto the
          AFHS website, "Blairmore" will show up as a post office location (It's
          not expressly listed by National Archives in any of their pages) - and
          then our own search engine at
          <http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/index.html> will be able to help.

          In the meantime, know that Blairmore is in SW Alberta, and so likely in
          District #18 <http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/alberta/18/index.html>.

          then, you'll need to consult a map (you can try some of the ones listed
          at: http://www.archives.ca/02/02015304/0201530401_e.html#Alberta) to
          determine what the Sec/Twp/Rge/Mer coordinates are - I'm betting that
          Sub-Distict 6 might be the right one for you.

          This will let you choose the correct image pages from the comprehensive
          list compiled at:
          http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/alberta/18/index.html

          If there was a time to learn the Sec/Twp/Rge/Mer system - this is it!

          --
          In Kinship,
          Judith Rempel, Webster

          and

          webster@...

          Canadian Genealogical Projects Register
          http://www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/

          1906 Census Transcription Centre
          http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/

          http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        • Charles Aubin
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 4, 2003
            Hi All:
            District #18, Sub#20 is also for Coleman and Lillith from the pages I
            had a look at
            reguards Charlie