Re: 1906 Census Blairmore help needed

  • Carol Lylyk
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2003
      Hello Cynthia
      Just put in the District and Sub District Numbers and nothing else. Keywords seem to confuse the
      search engine.

      Carol Lylyk
      Calgary
      > I have been trying to access the census for Blairmore but just come up with
      > no record found. I have been using Alberta, District 18, Sub District 20
      > and various keywords but nothing seems to work. Can someone tell me what I
      > might be doing wrong or what I can try. Thanks. Cynthia.

      ---

    • Cynthia Milligan
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 3, 2003

        http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      • metcalfd@telus.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 3, 2003
          Hi Cynthia,

          I think the keyword field is just for when you know the name of the district or
          subdistrict, but not the appropriate numbers. If you're lucky enough that your
          locale is the same as a district or subdistrict name, you'll get hits; but if
          your dealing with a smaller locale inside a subdistrict, the search engine
          won't find it. Carol Lylyk is quite right, if you know the district and
          subdistrict numbers, just use the numbers with no words at all.

          All the best,
          Joyce

          Quoting Cynthia Milligan <milligac@...>:

          > I have been trying to access the census for Blairmore but just come up with
          > no record found. I have been using Alberta, District 18, Sub District 20
          > and various keywords but nothing seems to work. Can someone tell me what I
          > might be doing wrong or what I can try. Thanks. Cynthia.

        • Judith Rempel
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 3, 2003
            Carol's correct. But, I'm hoping that as transcriptions go onto the
            AFHS website, "Blairmore" will show up as a post office location (It's
            not expressly listed by National Archives in any of their pages) - and
            then our own search engine at
            <http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/index.html> will be able to help.

            In the meantime, know that Blairmore is in SW Alberta, and so likely in
            District #18 <http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/alberta/18/index.html>.

            then, you'll need to consult a map (you can try some of the ones listed
            at: http://www.archives.ca/02/02015304/0201530401_e.html#Alberta) to
            determine what the Sec/Twp/Rge/Mer coordinates are - I'm betting that
            Sub-Distict 6 might be the right one for you.

            This will let you choose the correct image pages from the comprehensive
            list compiled at:
            http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/alberta/18/index.html

            If there was a time to learn the Sec/Twp/Rge/Mer system - this is it!

            --
            In Kinship,
            Judith Rempel, Webster

            and

            webster@...

            Canadian Genealogical Projects Register
            http://www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/

            1906 Census Transcription Centre
            http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/

            http://www.afhs.ab.ca
          • Charles Aubin
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 4, 2003
              Hi All:
              District #18, Sub#20 is also for Coleman and Lillith from the pages I
              had a look at
              reguards Charlie