1906 Calgary 26c Census district & Canmore sawdust kilns

  • E.Rodier
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2003
      Found another Cushing page 10 of sub-section 26c. There was a Cushing Bros.
      lumber mill or office at 1112 First Street SW, four lots advertised for sale
      in 1910.

      Pictures available: T. Dingle, G. Egleston, H. Provine, S. Dawson, J.
      Dingle, G. Bacon, F. Henderson, G. Dale, P. Provine worked for AB Cushing in
      1913, retail yard at 10th Ave and 12 St. West.

      Several tips about Twp 24, Range 9 W5 and some information from one of the
      Cushing relatives:
      WH Cushing had land holdings and timber rights to a number of properties
      throughout Alberta, BC (principally Kamloops and Vancouver Island) and even
      Saskatchewan. The Canmore operation was just a log cutting facility feeding
      the factories in Calgary and Edmonton. The lumber was brought to Calgary;
      kiln dried there (closed down in the 60's because of pollution concerns);
      then remanufactured for windows, doors and mouldings. I can still remember
      seeing it just off the highway on my many trips to Banff National Park. I
      wonder if it is still there? You couldn't miss noticing the cone shaped
      beehive sawdust kilns.