RE: Help needed - ideas?

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 27, 2003
      Even worse is giving vital details on living people, such as name, birthdate
      and place and mother's maiden name. These have been used in identity theft.

      It is better to say so and so about x years old or born in 1922 but leave
      date out. Even if the cousin born in 1922 is deceased, her children have
      been identified as to their exact name, birthdate and mother's maiden name.

      Canada has taken steps to improve privacy for living people (to the extent
      of overboard with the census). Still privacy legislation is toothless if
      people give out information to all who ask or give out information on others
      without their express consent.

      For your own protection ask credit card, banks and other financial
      institutions to use something other than your mother's maiden name as unique
      identification. My persistence all the way to the top in a couple of such
      institutions forced them to open their policies to any code word or name.
      For those that refused to listen I gave out a phony maiden name. Now I just
      have to remember which one I gave to whom. But this is far better than
      risking theft of my financial identity.

      I had a rude awakening and became much more caution after my wallet and ID
      were taken a few years ago. The ID included my driver's licence, SIN, credit
      cards and so on. As a genealogist my mother's maiden name is probably no
      secret and the suspects were people I worked with since no one could enter
      my work area without proper ID. Although I had reported my credit cards
      stolen immediately the police advised me to also immediately change whatever
      code words I had used for any institutions as they stated often identity
      thefts occurred in these situations.

      Two years later, someone successfully reopened a credit card saying she was
      me and ran up a number of bills in my name using my correct address, name,
      birthplace, birthdate, mother's maiden name, etc. After a bit of a battle
      all these charges to my name were cleared. The perpetrator has never been
      found.

      One of my friend's was not so lucky. Someone racked up thousands of dollars
      in her name. The credit card companies took her to court and although she
      was able to prove it was identity theft (she was in hospital in a completely
      different city from where the purchases were made and was in surgery at the
      exact time she supposedly made some online and telephone purchases) she
      still ended up with legal bills in the thousands of dollars.

      What about others who do not have such an iron-clad alibi?

      So think before you share vital stats of living people and/or yourself.

      à bientôt,

      Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564