1906 census & block numbers

  • E.Rodier
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 26, 2003
      Try Calgary district 19, sub-district 9 for Township 24, Range 1 West
      of Fifth Meridian.
      Townships 24, 25, 26 in range 28, fractional townships 24, 25, 26 in
      range 29, all west of the 4th M, and townships 24, 25, 26 in range 1 west of
      the 5th M, excepting the City of Calgary

      Section 22 is east of 4th Street West and Section 23 is west of 4th
      Street West, north of the Bow River. Most of Calgary was in Section 15 & 16
      prior to 1907.

      Calgary sub-section 26b has "15" for each household and some lot
      numbers. I finally realized the 15 referred to Section 15 and the census
      taker must have had a Block map to keep track of households on streets. Just
      noticed that the BLOCKS are marked on an 1891 rolled Calgary map.

      Block 86 (my census transcription nearly finished to send Judii) was
      VanHorne renamed 12 Ave in 1904, and Scarth Street renamed 1 Street West.
      Block 85 is Central Memorial Park

      The 1891 map also had circles showing each half mile from the post
      office.

      Some addresses in my notes are from a 1906 City Directory, likely
      copied at Glenbow Archives.--Elizabeth
      Sub-district Number: 9