Ooops sorry!

  • Eileen McElroy
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 14, 2002
      Sorry fellow listers...I meant for that last message to go ONLY to Judith!

      Regards,
      Eileen

    • Judith Rempel
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 14, 2002
        Taking replies to a one-on-one level. If anyone else is interested in
        this thread, just let Eileen or me know.

        Eileen McElroy wrote:

        > Hi Judith:
        >
        > Thanks so much for your feedback!

        <snip>

        --
        In Kinship,
        Judith Rempel, Webster

        and

        afhs@...

        Canadian Genealogical Projects Register
        http://www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/

        FamilyRoots 2002
      • Charlie Hansen
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 15, 2002
          Eileen recently asked for feedback on her webpage. Judith and others have
          responded, but I thought it might be of interest to them and others that
          the new version 7.0 Release 1 of the Netscape browser worked fine with
          both her original version and her current version, unlike version 4.75
          which gave very large text on the earlier version, but is OK now.

          I also have had problems with NS 4.75 coming up with blank pages on
          certain URLs and previously had to revert to IE 5.5 to view them, but NS
          7.0 works fine.

          I like Netscape 7.0 and plan to use it when I get my bookmarks moved and
          edited. (I don't like IE). I haven't tried it for email or newsgroups yet,
          as I have just installed an upgraded version 4.02 of Pegasus email client.
          I have always used some version of Pegasus and like it for its extensive
          mail filtering rules and configurable desktop layout.

          Regards,

          Charlie Hansen
        • Eileen McElroy
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 15, 2002
            Hi Charlie:

            Thanks so much for taking the time to view my page and respond to me. I
            appreciate your help.

            Regards,
            Eileen

            At 10:41 AM 15/08/2002 -0600, you wrote:
            >Eileen recently asked for feedback on her webpage. Judith and others have
            >responded, but I thought it might be of interest to them and others that
            >the new version 7.0 Release 1 of the Netscape browser worked fine with
            >both her original version and her current version, unlike version 4.75
            >which gave very large text on the earlier version, but is OK now.
            >
            >I also have had problems with NS 4.75 coming up with blank pages on
            >certain URLs and previously had to revert to IE 5.5 to view them, but NS
            >7.0 works fine.
            >
            >I like Netscape 7.0 and plan to use it when I get my bookmarks moved and
            >edited. (I don't like IE). I haven't tried it for email or newsgroups yet,
            >as I have just installed an upgraded version 4.02 of Pegasus email client.
            >I have always used some version of Pegasus and like it for its extensive
            >mail filtering rules and configurable desktop layout.
            >
            >Regards,
            >
            >Charlie Hansen
            >http://www.afhs.ab.ca
            >http://www.family-roots.ca

          • Mary Arthur
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 15, 2002
              I am also using Netscape 7 (beta) and am happy with it as well. I use it
              for some mail. It is nice as I have three addresses set up to get mail
              on it (two from telus - one from netscape) and am able to post from my
              'throw away' yahoo address if I wish to as well . (not fool proof but
              one way to reduce spam). I think the thing I like most is that you can
              open pages in a new tab instead of a new window (not always) so it is
              easier to jump back to googol (or whatever) and open another page.

              Mary Arthur

              Charlie Hansen wrote:

              >Eileen recently asked for feedback on her webpage. Judith and others have
              >responded, but I thought it might be of interest to them and others that
              >the new version 7.0 Release 1 of the Netscape browser worked fine with
              >both her original version and her current version, unlike version 4.75
              >which gave very large text on the earlier version, but is OK now.
              >
              >I also have had problems with NS 4.75 coming up with blank pages on
              >certain URLs and previously had to revert to IE 5.5 to view them, but NS
              >7.0 works fine.
              >
              >I like Netscape 7.0 and plan to use it when I get my bookmarks moved and
              >edited. (I don't like IE). I haven't tried it for email or newsgroups yet,
              >as I have just installed an upgraded version 4.02 of Pegasus email client.
              >I have always used some version of Pegasus and like it for its extensive
              >mail filtering rules and configurable desktop layout.
              >
              >Regards,
              >
              >Charlie Hansen
              >http://www.afhs.ab.ca
              >http://www.family-roots.ca

            • Judith Rempel
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 16, 2002
                Charlie Hansen wrote:

                > I also have had problems with NS 4.75 coming up with blank pages on
                > certain URLs and previously had to revert to IE 5.5 to view them, but NS
                > 7.0 works fine.

                The reason is not the limitation of the browser in all likelihood. Most
                of the time when NN fails to show pp properly, it's because the webcodes
                behind the scene are corrupted. IE is more tolerant of "bad code" than
                Netscare ever has.

                Brief example.

                Tables are used to layout data as well as other features in a website.
                Good code will specify:

                a) that a table has begun <table> and ended </table>

                b) that a ROW of information has begun <tr> and ended </tr>

                and

                c) that each cell in that row has begun <td> and ended </td>

                Some softwares, and coders can get sloppy and forget the terminating
                codes. That results in gobbeldy gook to Netscape.

                While it just doesn't work in Netscape and it looks like Netscape is the
                problem, it's really the human behind the code who hasn't done their
                homework. Such terminating codes are part of the html standards set by
                W3C (guys/gals who made up the basic html rules long ago and continue to
                do so).

                Good design ensures that the material is viewable in all commonly-used
                browsers (aka universal design).

                P.S. Not all the AFHS pp are up to standard at the present time - some
                detailed sections are ungoing a technical cleanup to incorporate more
                automation at my end - and have some known visual bugs. (<p> tags
                aren't terminated with </p> throughout - that's a standard that has
                evolved and I need to catch another few hundred of our pages up to
                standard as I get the time in Aug/Sep).

                --
                In Kinship,
                Judith Rempel, Webster

                and

                afhs@...

                Canadian Genealogical Projects Register
                http://www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/

                FamilyRoots 2002
              • Lesley Stuart-Smith
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 18, 2002
                  Hi Eileen,

                  Catching up on last week's email - sorry for being so tardy! :-)

                  I think your webpage looks great - colors are unobtrusive, graphics are appropriate, content is useful.

                  I agree that it would be nice to have a "back home" link on every page, and a 'mailto' on the front page.

                  I always think it's nice to have a vanity page as well -- a little something about the webster.

                  Cheers, Lesley