Re: 1906 Census - Calgary?

  • E.Rodier
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 24, 2003
      Perhaps anyone away from home on June 25 was left out? I'm looking for
      Cushing 313 - 4th Ave SW and Higgs who lived next door. -- Elizabeth

      Calgary sub-districts have letters.
      26a seems to be Centre Street, and some addresses on 3 Ave East on the early
      pages.
      26b starts with Ward 2, 1st Street West
      -- found Peter Prince on page 17, his address 238 - 4th Ave SW
      26c
      26d
      27 is High River

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 25, 2003
        Hi all:

        First off, hats of to Lois Sparling for all the work she and her colleagues
        did to finally have the census released.

        Secondly, I must be 'dumber than a bag of hammers', but how the heck do you
        use it. I understand Calgary is in sub-district 26. Now what? My
        grandmother lived at 512 - 5 Ave. SW. HELP!!

        > > I'm looking for Calgary, Township 24 Range 1 West of fifth. City of
        > Calgary
        > > seems to have a sub-district of 26 and the Calgary area 1906 census
        seems
        > > stop at sub-district 19. Downtown Calgary is in sections 15 and 16.
        > > Elizabeth

      • Charlie Hansen
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 25, 2003
          On 25 Jan 2003 at 10:21, Gordon Hulbert wrote:

          > Secondly, I must be 'dumber than a bag of hammers', but how the heck do
          > you use it. I understand Calgary is in sub-district 26. Now what? My
          > grandmother lived at 512 - 5 Ave. SW. HELP!!

          On the archives search screen at:

          http://www.archives.ca/02/02015302_e.html

          Select "Alberta" Province

          District Name = Calgary
          District Number = 19
          Sub-district Number = 26a, 26b, 26c, or 26d

          Click Search

          Gord, you should try 26b, click "Associated Images" and then go
          through all the pages that come up.

          The Sub-districts correspond to wards 1, 2, 3 or 4 for approximately
          NE, NW, SE and SW with the dividing lines being about Centre Street
          and the CPR railway lines. Does anyone have the exact ward
          boundaries?

          You should use MS internet Explorer for your browser as the MrSid
          viewer does not work with Netscape 7. maybe other versions.

          If you don't find your address on the earlier pages, check the higher
          number pages for callbacks. I have found some pages dated well into
          July. Also I noticed that sometimes the enumerators path was along a
          street with the corner residences on each avenue listed sequentially,
          that is the entries for the corner homes on 10th Ave, then 11th all
          the way to 17th.

          Hope this helps.

          If anyone should spot Charles H. WEBSTER or Ernie L. RICHARDSON,
          please drop me a line. I know they were in Calgary in 1903 but I
          don't have an address, but would guess Ward 3.

          Regards,
          Charlie Hansen
          http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        • Gordon Lane
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 25, 2003
            Go to

            http://www.archives.ca/02/02015302_e.html

            Select Alberta

            then

            In the keyword search enter

            City of Calgary

            And submit search

            In the results page there are sub-districts 25a, 26b, 26c and 26d

            From the drop down list select a page and start hunting, Oh whilst you are
            at use Judii's template for extractions.

            Mr SID will open up in it's default small window. (You may have to agree to
            allow Mr SID to be loaded - just agree and it loads with no other effort
            from you)

            Goto Options (the little image to the left of the Question Mark) and select
            frame size

            Now select custom and change the width and height ( 1024 * 768 ) gives a
            nice readable image size

            You can use the right mouse button to get the options, which includes the
            ability to save the image. You only get what you see in the viewing window,
            not the whole page.

            Regards

            Gordon Lane
            Treasurer
            Co-Editor Chinook

            Alberta Family Hisories Society
            http://www.afhs.ab.ca

            Family website
            http://www.rumbolt.com

            > > I'm looking for Calgary, Township 24 Range 1 West of fifth. City of
            > Calgary
            > > seems to have a sub-district of 26 and the Calgary area 1906 census
            seems
            > > stop at sub-district 19. Downtown Calgary is in sections 15 and 16.
            > > Elizabeth

          • Bonnie Anderson
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 25, 2003
              More about locating a district...
              Click on Census Districts and Maps, then Province, locality to see a
              description of the district boundaries. You also have an option to look at a
              map for the district (view map).

              Bonnie (Acheson) Anderson
              Calgary, Alberta
              bonma@...