Beatty et al

  • Lois Sparling
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 20, 2003
      Dear All,

      The Federal Court has scheduled a full day hearing for Beatty et al v
      The Chief Statistician et al on May 6, 2003 in their Calgary court room
      commencing at 9:30 am. Gowning up for the good guys will be Paul Clark,
      Dianne Hunter and me. We are expecting two Justice Department lawyers
      to present argument on behalf of the Powers of Darkness. Dougald Brown
      of Ottawa will be representing the Privacy Commissioner. The
      Information Commissioner was removed as a party to this particular
      action at his own request last year.

      The lawyers are very excited.

      This hearing will take place in a court room open to the public but
      these courtrooms are not large and the arguments will be interesting
      only to legal minds. Before driving across country to attend, ask
      yourself - can you really listen to a full day's debate on the statutory
      interpretation of a century old Order-in-Council and the fine points of
      administrative law? The policy issues and importance of access to the
      census to our family, local and national history will be referred to
      only in passing (unless the Judge asks). Any of you who do want to
      attend, PLEASE ask me about court room etiquette in advance.

      Lois Sparling