Re: Saturday January 18 - AFHS Library open

  • Bob McNarry
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 16, 2003
      Dear Lorna;

      Last November I donated a book about the McNarry family to the AFHS
      library entitled "The McNarrys." I thought that it might serve as a
      sample of a well produced book about a family history. Several years ago
      I donated a local history book entitled "Foxwarren" to the library. I
      have not had an acknowledgement of either donation. My concern is that I
      would like to know that they are available for general usage. I let my
      membership lapse a few years ago because of personal problems. I do have
      hopes of renewing sometime this year.

      Bob McNarry

      Lorna Laughton wrote:

      > No excuses now - the holidays are over, the roads are not covered
      > with snow, ...The AFHS Library will be open this Saturday - January 18
      > - from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm. You know the place - basement room in the
      > former Southminster United Church, 38181- 14A Street in Southwest
      > Calgary.The wonderful volunteers, who are making this borrowing,
      > returning and research opportunity possible for you, are: Phyllis
      > Ziajka and Donna Kirkwood. They both have experience with researching
      > Scottish ancestors, and are approachable, helpful people! By the way,
      > another great volunteer, Heather Jaremko, puts the AFHS Library open
      > times on the AFHS telephone message, so you can check that at
      > 214-1447. Is there anyone in the world who doesn't know our fantastic
      > web site at: http://www.afhs.ab.ca? The "Calendar of Events", on the
      > left side of the home page, also show the AFHS Library open times.

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Lorna Laughton
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 16, 2003
        Hi Bob:

        The AFHS Librarian, Helen Backhouse, is the official person who can
        answer your concern. However, I do know that your donation of "The
        McNarrys" was received and catalogued.

        You are right - it is very, very helpful to have family-history-type
        books in the library. When genealogists/family historians are ready to
        produce any type of publication about their family or families, they can
        look at the many examples of styles, contents, etc. Well-produced family
        histories are really inspiring and helpful. Besides that, someone might
        "connect" to a family that is written about in one of the many family
        histories books.

        In the AFHS Library, the family histories are shelved under number
        929.2. The Dewey Decimal System calls this area Biographies", but we
        call them family histories. After the call number 929.2 are 4 letters
        that start the "author's surname", and then sometimes a year of
        publication. For example, a recent donation from Sharon Dyer was a book
        titled "Barton Family Lineages". The shelf number is '929.2 DYER 2002'.
        You can see that this doesn't indicate the actual family surname that
        the book is about.

        The Library Committee puts a label in almost all material that is
        donated to acknowledge and thank the donor. Sometimes items have been
        catalogued and shelved before we remember to do this, so there have been
        gaps in our process. However, all donations are appreciated! In fact, if
        anyone has material to donate to the library, it would help if they
        could provide a brief list of the titles and their name with their
        donation. We often find 'orphan' bags of books left on our doorstep
        (well, in the library), and we don't know who they are from. The library
        tells all donors that if their donation is a duplicate of something that
        we already have - we add their donation to our "Sales Table" - so that
        the library still benefits.

        I am really glad that you raised this issue, Bob. Thanks.

        Lorna Laughton (member of the AFHS Library Committee, along with Helen
        Backhouse, Lois Nicholson, Ethel McDonald, and Olive Carlin)

        P.S. My role as the co-ordinator of the "Open Library Times" is a
        sub-committee of the AFHS Library Committee. I still report to "The
        Boss" (Helen).