964Home Children

  • Rene Dussome
    Jan 7, 2003
      To: Members who attended last evening's meeting and to all other
      interested members

      The sad story about Mr. Snow's father, who was a Home Child and never
      knew who his parents were, was an all-too-familiar one. For some
      inexplicable reason, the charities in England that sponsored the Child
      Emigration Scheme consistently refused to reveal family information to
      those children and their descendants.

      Not all is doom and gloom, however.

      The late AFHS member Ruth Duncan, who is still sorely missed, was
      successful in finding the forebears of her maternal grandmother Margaret
      nee Sutton. Unfortunately, Ruth's mother Jean had passed on before this
      information was available.

      Margaret Sutton and her twin sister Harriet Sutton were brought to
      Canada by the Macpherson Home. They arrived in Galt, Ontario in July
      1877 at which time they were two months short of their fifth birthday.
      Later that year both girls were separated and adopted by different
      Canadian families. They received much love and care from their adoptive
      families.

      If you would like to read more about this happy story, look in the AFHS
      Journal winter 94/95 volume 15 no 2 and read my article about the two
      children and Ruth's successful search for their forebears.

      For those members who do not have a copy of this Journal I am sure that
      our wonderful librarian Helen can produce one for you from her archives.

      Rene Dussome