800CANADIAN ALLIANCE LEADER - POST 1901 CENSUS

  • william campbell
    Nov 26, 2002
      Hi Folks:

      It took the busy Leader of The Opposition over 7 weeks to reply but I am
      pleased to include his positive response below received today.

      Dear Mr. Campbell:

      Thank you for your e-mail message of October 6th regarding the release
      of
      post-1901 census records. I would like to take this opportunity to
      respond
      to your concerns.

      The Canadian Alliance supports the preservation of census records and
      the
      subsequent transfer of these records to the National Archives for public

      release. We believe that keeping the records confidential for the
      historical 92-year period is an adequate length of time, and that this
      is
      generally consistent with the practice in Britain and the United States
      where records are kept confidential for 100 and 72 years respectively.

      With respect to the government introducing legislation that would
      release
      post-1901 census material, it appears such legislation will be on the
      government's fall agenda. Let me assure you that my colleagues and I
      will
      take into consideration the concerns of those most affected by this
      matter
      when reviewing any new legislation concerning this issue.

      Thank you once again for taking the time to write.

      Sincerely,

      Stephen Harper, M.P.
      Leader of the Opposition
      Leader of the Canadian Alliance