6629Do you know a teacher who may want to teach military history using primary source material?

  • Christine Hayes
    Nov 8, 2011

      Hi All,

      I am sending this out just in case someone on the list knows a teacher who may be interested in teaching Canada’s military history by using some resources that many of us genealogists are familiar with.  Calgary Public Library is honoured to have been chosen by Library and Archives Canada to participate in “Lest we Forget”, a program designed to commemorate members of the Canadian military who have given their lives in the service of their country.  The program involves researching information on a service man or woman whose name appears on a cenotaph, a roll of honour or any other memorial, or who may not be commemorated but should be.  LAC has sent us copies of the service records of members of the CEF and some from WWII.  Students are introduced to primary source research as well as background research on Canada’s participation in the two World Wars.  We want to include things like war diaries, personal memoirs, letters from the front, etc.  So if any of you know of any teacher who might be interested in teaching their classes about Canada’s military history using this kind of method (which, in my humble opinion is the best way – make it personal and they’ll remember) please feel free to forward this to them or have them contact me at Christine.hayes@... or by phone at 403-260-2692.

      This might also make a good project for other groups if you can think of anyone else who might be interested.

      Cheers

      Christine Hayes

      Information Assistant

      Community Heritage and Family History