6613RE: LAC

    Oct 29, 2011

      I sent my original post to Dick Eastman. Too bad people are quoting CAUT’s Press Release and not checking to see what really is going on. Good for Wayne for replying in the first place to cast doubts on CAUT’s announcement and motive.

      From: owner-dist-gen@... [mailto:owner-dist-gen@...] On Behalf Of Joan Miller
      Sent: October-29-11 5:15 PM
      To: Xenia Stanford
      Cc: Laura A Kirbyson; Rene Dussome; Wayne Shepheard; Dist-Gen
      Subject: Re: LAC

      Xenia,

      Perhaps someone could put a comment on Dick Eastman's blog post giving the different point of view...to create some balance.  A lot of people read his blog.

      I note John Reid of Ottawa put the press release on his Anglo Celtic blog as well. http://anglo-celtic-connections.blogspot.com/2011/10/save-library-and-archives-canada.html

      Joan

      On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 5:51 PM, Xenia Stanford <president@...> wrote:

      I made one error – the current Librarian and Archivist of Canada has taught at several universities. This is the first time to my knowledge though that CAUT has cared who the National Librarian and Archivist is and what credentials he has.

      I just checked the library forums to which I belong and not a peep about any problems at or with LAC since 2007. Then the complaint was only about reduced hours available to the public. I search LAC collections often and I see more material than ever is available online.

      I believe the library and archives community would be the first to sound the alarm if it were necessary.