      Perhaps someone could put a comment on Dick Eastman's blog post giving the different point of view...to create some balance.  A lot of people read his blog.

      I note John Reid of Ottawa put the press release on his Anglo Celtic blog as well. http://anglo-celtic-connections.blogspot.com/2011/10/save-library-and-archives-canada.html

      Joan

      On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 5:51 PM, Xenia Stanford <president@...> wrote:

      I made one error – the current Librarian and Archivist of Canada has taught at several universities. This is the first time to my knowledge though that CAUT has cared who the National Librarian and Archivist is and what credentials he has.

      I just checked the library forums to which I belong and not a peep about any problems at or with LAC since 2007. Then the complaint was only about reduced hours available to the public. I search LAC collections often and I see more material than ever is available online.

      I believe the library and archives community would be the first to sound the alarm if it were necessary.

      From: owner-dist-gen@... [mailto:owner-dist-gen@...] On Behalf Of Xenia Stanford
      Sent: October-29-11 3:40 PM
      To: 'Laura A Kirbyson'; 'Rene Dussome'; 'Wayne Shepheard'; 'Joan Miller'; 'Dist-Gen'
      Subject: RE: LAC

      This alarm bell was sounded for other collections and some turned out to be rumours too. That is what this is – a rumour or, worse, an attack/scare tactics. Every library and archives I know could use more funding. I used to be in the business myself (government, academic and corporate libraries and archives – then consultant to libraries/archives), so I know there are always institutions in jeopardy, but not LAC, which has been increasing holdings, indexing and digitizing records. They are reorganizing and have been for a number of years. I don’t think this means they are on the verge of collapse. In fact, I believe it is the opposite.

      --
      Joan Miller
      Luxegen Genealogy

      ---