6609RE: LAC

    Oct 29, 2011

      This alarm bell was sounded for other collections and some turned out to be rumours too. That is what this is – a rumour or, worse, an attack/scare tactics. Every library and archives I know could use more funding. I used to be in the business myself (government, academic and corporate libraries and archives – then consultant to libraries/archives), so I know there are always institutions in jeopardy, but not LAC, which has been increasing holdings, indexing and digitizing records. They are reorganizing and have been for a number of years. I don’t think this means they are on the verge of collapse. In fact, I believe it is the opposite.

      The first bone of contention raised was that the person appointed to be National Librarian and Archivist is neither “a professional librarian or professional archivist” (i.e. a graduate of a recognized library or archivist-degree granting institution). As Penni Stewart in CAUT Bulletin, Vol 58, No 4, April 2011, in her piece “Harper Gov’t Puts Library & Archives Canada at Risk” points out the current person put in this position is an economist and has no professional librarians or archivists on his team. Even if true (not the part about his team, which I know is not true since I know some accredited librarians and archivists there), it is not a first. In my long days in this profession, I saw national librarians and archivists come and go. First they were separate. Then they were merged but that was before Harper took over. As separate entities they were headed often by non-librarians and non-archivists. The world did not come to an end. But who would care if you shouted from the rooftops that the “chief” of LAC was not of the two professions? (Also note there was never a problem at CAUT - Canadian Association of University Teachers - when they recognized the head as a former university teacher.) They really don’t care now, but by saying this and raising other irrational fears, they are a scaremonger.  Stating the actual institution is in danger of shutting down, thereby being a complete loss to the researchers, genealogists and others who have come to rely on LAC resources, increases the number of incensed/frightened people in more countries and created a monster out of the current government. That’s all it is: a scare tactic.

      In fact, the merger has been leaner and LAC has been able to do more as one entity. A little history is in order:

      1872 The Public Archives of Canada was established under the Department of Agriculture.

      1953 The National Library of Canada was created.

      1987 PAC became the National Archives of Canada.

      2004, May 21, a Governor in Council order created Library and Archives Canada (LAC) to combine the collections, services and personnel under one body. Canada was one of the first countries to do so. It is a step forward! The Prime Minister at the time was Paul Martin. So hardly Harper’s fault (I am not a conservative by the way!)

      LAC is not under the Privy Council. It reports to Parliament through the Minister of Heritage. LAC is not to be confused with the Library of Parliament, which is under Public Works and Government Services Canada and has its own chief librarian, who is also not a “professional librarian” – i.e. graduated from an accredited library school.

      I believe the merger made sense and less overhead has helped streamline the process. This has helped increase the numbers I stated above (more holdings, more indexing and more digitizing). Once the walls came down between the two, the focus has not been on:

      Who owns what collection? Is this a library or archives document? Do we have unnecessary duplication of items, processes and people?

      Sure maybe it means some things were thrown out and some people were reassigned. It doesn’t mean the total structure is tumbling down. To believe it is collapsing and it is all Harper’s fault helps CAUT get more people on board so it can look like CAUT is the rescuer and hero. Just read this headline and beginning of its Press Release:

      CAUT to launch national campaign to Save Library and Archives Canada: (Ottawa - October 28, 2011) On Wednesday, November 2, the Canadian Association of University Teachers will launch its national campaign: “Save Library and Archives Canada”.

      Oh yes, all by themselves they are going to save our national institution, which is not even in danger.

      How fitting they put this out in time for Halloween! They have created a scarecrow to frighten you and give CAUT recognition as national heroes. I for one am not scared LAC is in danger, but I am afraid of what CAUT is trying to achieve.

      Xenia