      Cheers,
      Gordon Williams
      You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

      On 29/10/2011 10:37 AM, Wayne Shepheard wrote:
      This might require a bit more digging to find out whether there is a problem.  This seems to be a cause only of the CAUT which does not seem to like the Conservative government who they think has “worked at producing a cultural transformation” and worry that other “(f)unding cuts have decimated the social landscape.”  They are now complaining about a “modernization project began last spring with a mandate to review how collections are acquired and preserved.”  There may be a bit of unfounded hysteria here in their campaign and certainly a dislike of current politicians who are now in charge.  I am sure they are concerned about preserving materials from Canada’s history but we need to separate what is real here and what is in the imagination of groups who just don’t like conservative policies.

      Wayne Shepheard
      Editor, Chinook

      Sent: Saturday, October 29, 2011 9:14 AM
      Subject: LAC

      This will be interesting to follow.  I didn't realize Libraries and Archives Canada was having issues. (as posted in Dick Eastman's newsletter - http://blog.eogn.com/eastmans_online_genealogy/2011/10/announcing-a-campaign-to-save-library-and-archives-canada.html

      Announcing a Campaign to Save Library and Archives Canada

      Listen with webReader

      The following brief announcement was written by the Canadian Association of University Teachers and published at http://www.caut.ca/pages.asp?page=1036:

      Canadian Association of University Teachers to launch national campaign to Save Library and Archives Canada

      (Ottawa, October 28, 2011) On Wednesday, November 2, the Canadian Association of University Teachers will launch its national campaign: “Save Library and Archives Canada”.

      The campaign will expose how major restructuring of Library and Archives Canada is undermining the institution responsible for preserving Canada’s history and heritage. “Library and Archives Canada is cutting services and acquisitions. Unless this is reversed, the damage to our country will be enormous,” said CAUT’s executive director James L. Turk.

      WHO:

      James Turk, Executive Director, Canadian Association of University Teachers
      Liam McGahern, President, Antiquarian Booksellers Association of Canada

      WHAT:

      Announcement of National Campaign to “Save Library and Archives Canada”

      WHERE:

      Charles-Lynch Press Conference Room, Centre Block, Parliament Hill

      WHEN:
      Wednesday, Nov 2 at 11:

      --
      Joan Miller