6362Any genealogy detectives who can help this lady?

  • Joan Miller
    Mar 4, 2011
      Hi all,
      I just had a comment on my blog asking for help finding a lady's g-grandmother.  Does anyone have suggestions for Tracey?

      Do you have any suggestions of where I should go to find information about my great-grandmother?  We have very little information about her - just her name - Jenny Gustafson and that she came from Stockholm, Sweden to Canada in 1912-1913.  My grandfather, George Edward Gustafson was born in Moose Jaw Saskatchewan on October 7, 1913.  He believes he may have been conceived during the voyage.  Jenny placed him in the care of the Children's Aid Society.  However, after a week or so, she removed him from the Society and gave him to Mr. and Mrs. David and Maria Rhode. (They had just recently lost their son David in a flu or diptheria epidemic, and renamed my grandfather David Rhode).  Mr. Rhode worked for the Robin Hood Flour Mill, while Mrs. Rhode ran a boarding house and was also a midwife.  I believe that is the connection between her and Jenny.  Apparently Jenny came around for a few weeks, then disappeared completely.  There is rumor that she may have died in the flu epidemic of 1918.  However, I have researched many cemetaries in and around Moose Jaw, and have no sign of her name.  I have had no luck searching census records either.  I was hoping I might find her name on a passenger list, but have no idea where to start looking.  Any ideas?

      Your help is much appreciated!

      Tracey Guerrier

      Joan Miller
      Luxegen Genealogy