6302RE: cemetery info online (URL shorteners)

    Jan 21, 2011

      Thanks Jim for the info.

      Ronna sent me the following:

      Just go to http://bit.ly/  (that’s the real URL – not shortened!) – I think you have to register but it is free

      You just copy and paste the URL you want to shorten and it automatically shortens it – then you copy and use the shortened version

      It is used a lot when people are tweeting on twitter – because you can only have 140 characters, you don’t want to use them all up with URL – also some URLs are longer than 140 characters

      Now for my note:

      I can see where it would be useful in cases where you email someone a long url and have to remind them to make sure all characters are input even when it wraps over more than one line. It also would avoid the frustrations I have when sending articles to newspapers and magazines (other than Chinook!) They have a tendency to put a hyphen at the end of a line if the url is too long. I keep trying to explain to my layout people for my books that it is a case of WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) meaning that no character other than the ones to be typed in as the url should be in the text. Otherwise, how will we know a hyphen is for the line break or to be typed in? That is why in Chinook, you will see we either make the url smaller font or  break across the line at the / or some other place where there is not a hyphen.

      Of course, with a shortened url, you do have to trust the source and if one character is wrong, you could go to a naughty site, as Jim warns, or you could be trapped in a phishing scam. Shortened urls are not the only cause of going astray, as we know. One or two letters off a normal url can take you there too. For instance, even reputable people were linking their websites to www.redrival... instead of www.redriver... The redrival site had a virus just waiting for the foolish to land there. Since people tend to incorporate links without checking them out themselves, even people you trust can take you down the wrong street. Because I had a really great virus scan system (not the most famous two!) that caught it, I sent an email to each site I found using the redrival link. Most never responded and never took down the link. Some responded by quietly taking down the link and the odd few blasted me for wasting their time because their links were all good.

      Shortened or full-length url links are not the only cause of landing on sites with viruses or phishing, or on sticky (can’t use back arrow to go to previous page) or naughty sites. Simply searching on the Internet can get you all those problems galore.

      So please check your urls (shortened or not) before passing them on to others and be sure to have up-to-date virus and spyware scanning software.

      Thank you Ronna for giving us these valuable urls and teaching me something new.

      Xenia