6297cemetery info online

  • Ronna L. Byam
    Jan 20, 2011

      I don’t know who Valerie Beaudrault is – this info was passed on to someone I know by someone they know – I googled her name and there is a Valerie Beaudrault who does New England stuff and one who does Quebec stuff.  I shortened the URLs.

      Obituary and Cemetery Databases  by Valerie Beaudrault

      Mountain View Cemetery, Vancouver, British Columbia  http://bit.ly/eNKRJB

      The City of Vancouver, British Columbia, has made the Mountain View Cemetery database available on its website. Mountain View Cemetery, established in 1887, is one of the oldest cemeteries in the Vancouver metropolitan area. Click on the History link to read a detailed narrative of the cemetery’s founding and development over the years.

      Click on the Genealogy Resources link in the contents list to access database. The database comprises an alphabetical list of burials. The list was transcribed from the official cemetery records. The data fields in the database include name of the deceased, date of death, date of burial, and location of the grave. Click on the Cemetery Maps link on the alphabetical listing page to view maps. By clicking on each section of the overview map you will be able to view more detailed maps so that you can locate a grave. An explanation on how to interpret the maps has been provided.

      In addition to the alphabetical listing your will find the following burial databases for Mountain View Cemetery: mayors of Vancouver, Vancouver firefighters and police officers who died while on active duty, interesting citizens, WW1 and WW2 military burials, and Fraternal organizations at Mountain View. For many of the entries in these databases you will find links to biographical and photographs.

      There are also stories of local disasters: Rogers Pass Slide Disaster of 1910, a slide in the pass killed 62 men, 30 of whom are buried at Mountain View; New Westminster Railway Disaster of 1909; the Lakeview Tram disaster of 1909, the worst transit accident in Vancouver's history, and a list of burials from the SS Sophia, which sank at Vanderbilt Reef Alaska in October 1918.

      City of Edmonton Cemeteries Database, Edmonton, Alberta  http://bit.ly/gRYr2F

      The City of Edmonton has made a searchable cemeteries database available on its website. The more than 60,000 burials listed in the database took place 25 or more years ago. The following cemeteries have been indexed: Beechmount, Clover Bar, Edmonton, Little Mountain, and Mount Pleasant. The burials for two cemeteries, Northern Lights and South Haven, have not been included.

      First, click on the “How do I obtain the service?” link and then on the Cemetery Location Link to open the database search page. The database may be searched by first name and/or last name. You may search all of the cemeteries at one time or select a specific cemetery to search using the dropdown list. The data fields in the search results are last name, first name, burial date, cemetery name, section, block and plot.

      Brochures for self-guided walking tours of three Edmonton cemeteries: Mt. Pleasant, Edmonton and Beechmount, have been provided. These files are in PDF file format, so you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view them.

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic