6202Re: SOGS databases

  • Wendy Hamilton
    Nov 5, 2010

      Hi Judith,

      I have subscriptions to both Ancestry http://www.ancestry.co.uk/ and FindMyPast http://www.findmypast.co.uk/.  At present I wouldn’t give up either subscription.   For my parishes of interest Ancestry and FindMyPast are complementary.  Of course much of the census, BMD records and others overlap, but sometimes if I can’t find what I am looking for on one site I find it on the other – usually a transcription problem.

      I have also looked at http://www.thegenealogist.co.uk/, and http://familyrelatives.com/ .  They both seem to have good parish record coverage of certain counties.  At present neither of them has much coverage in my parishes of interest.  I will probably take advantage of their free trials when they add more records.  I have been told that it is worthwhile to look at the PCC wills on the Genealogist UK.

      To give you an example of parish record coverage, I am currently researching in Somerset and although all four sites have parish records, only FindMyPast includes some of the village/parishes I am interested in.  I have been successful in finding many baptisms, marriages and burials on FindMyPast but the baptisms for my prime parish are not covered yet.  Family Relatives does not cover Somerset at present.  The Genealogist UK covers quite a few counties with baptisms, marriages and burials but for Somerset they only have marriages.

      So in my case I subscribe to FindMyPast.  For parish records, FindMyPast has transcriptions only and the search is limited to the county so you may get many results to view.   It would be much better to be able to include a parish or place name. If you are researching a common name and wide date range then a subscription is the way to go.

      Depending on your needs the other sites may cover your parishes of interest and also have images. Even if a site has your parish, all relevant years may not be covered or be complete, so you have to check the coverage listings carefully.

      The links for coverage of the parish records listings are:

       FindMyPast:

       http://www.findmypast.co.uk/parish-records-collection-search-start.action?redef=0&event=M

      The Genealogist UK:

      http://www.thegenealogist.co.uk/nameindex/ai_content.php?type=diamond#Parish_Records_(Printed_Books)

      Family Relatives:

      http://familyrelatives.com/navigate/navigate_detail.php?id=20

      In addition to the commercial sites you asked about, I am familiar with many others related to British research.  Also family history societies, local history and village websites sometimes have transcriptions. The free sites like Online Parish Clerks: http://www.onlineparishclerks.org.uk/ and the FreeReg project at: http://www.freereg.org.uk/ are being updated all the time and worth looking at for parish records.

      As an aside, this week I received in the post a British magazine called “Family History on the Internet” just published by The National Archives and Wharncliffe Publishing Ltd. (£6.99 ISBN 184884457-3).  It is current and very well done.  It covers all the commercial websites as well as other sites were you can find the basic sources (census, parish registers, wills, military records, etc). Also includes information on archives, libraries, newspapers, directories, emigration, immigration, maps etc.). I didn’t order it, but believe I got it because I have a subscription to “Your Family History” magazine formally “Ancestors”.  I don’t know if it can be purchased here, but it is well worth a read for British researchers.

      Hope this helps.  Let me know if require more information.

      Regards,

      Wendy Hamilton

      Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 7:57 AM
      Subject: RE: SOGS databases

      Sorry – my query apparently was more obscure than intended. I’ve heard from a few that SOGS isn’t a known anagram.

       SOGS:  Society of Genealogists.

      Since I’m so NOT British, I just assumed everyone would know the anagram for this organization.  And, I guess it should be SOGs.  They advertise heavily in the Family history magazines that come out of UK.  They can be found at: http://www.societyofgenealogists.com/

      However, it turns out that my question really has nothing to do with them.  I’ve been looking at this site and wondering if it’s valuable (and confusing it with SOGs for some reason):

                       http://www.thegenealogist.co.uk/

      There are two other sites that could be considered in this examination as well:

      ·         www.findmypast.com  (I have subscribed to their 1911 census index and selectively purchase other records there very occasionally) – their indexes seem reasonably clean, prices reasonable and I like it that I get a sense of what I’m getting before I pay for a record.  (I’m not on as sure ground with The Genealogist.

      ·         www.familyrelatives.com – I’ve not used this one at all

      Many thanks for the good advice that I know will be forthcoming.

      Judith (Judii) Rempel

      rempel@...