6196RE: SOGS databases

  • Judith Rempel
    Nov 3, 2010

      Sorry – my query apparently was more obscure than intended. I’ve heard from a few that SOGS isn’t a known anagram.

       SOGS:  Society of Genealogists.

      Since I’m so NOT British, I just assumed everyone would know the anagram for this organization.  And, I guess it should be SOGs.  They advertise heavily in the Family history magazines that come out of UK.  They can be found at: http://www.societyofgenealogists.com/

      However, it turns out that my question really has nothing to do with them.  I’ve been looking at this site and wondering if it’s valuable (and confusing it with SOGs for some reason):

                       http://www.thegenealogist.co.uk/

      There are two other sites that could be considered in this examination as well:

      ·         www.findmypast.com  (I have subscribed to their 1911 census index and selectively purchase other records there very occasionally) – their indexes seem reasonably clean, prices reasonable and I like it that I get a sense of what I’m getting before I pay for a record.  (I’m not on as sure ground with The Genealogist.

      ·         www.familyrelatives.com – I’ve not used this one at all

      Many thanks for the good advice that I know will be forthcoming.

      Judith (Judii) Rempel

      rempel@...