6056How has the census helped you?

    Jul 18, 2010
      Send us your story and include a photo if possible. The photo can be of the
      person/family you found on the census or the image of the census record
      itself.

      Tell us what you found that you would not have known if it were not for the
      census record. Since UK is also considering scrapping the census, the census
      does not have to be a Canadian one. Also since the U.S. has released up to
      and including 1930, an example from that would be a good contrast.

      I know that the 1930 census in the U.S. helped me find my greataunt and her
      stepdaughter. My greataunt came from Austria with my grandparents and my
      father to Canada. She was on the 1911 Census of Canada, but left for the
      U.S. sometime between 1911 and 1920. She married an American many years her
      senior, but was left a widow by the time I made an appearance on this earth.
      She made many trips to Alberta to visit us. When she passed away, we
      received a letter from the stepdaughter telling us the details of my
      greataunt's death and asking if there was anything we wanted of hers. We
      sent a letter back thanking her for letting us know and telling her the only
      thing we would like were some photos. We never heard from her again, the
      letter from her was lost and no one remembered her first name. We only
      remembered her married surname was Childs. Through the U.S. census records,
      I was able to find my greataunt on the 1920 and 1930 U.S. Census. It gave
      her husband's birth information and through that I was able to trace him on
      the census records since his birth, including his first marriage. Through
      that I found the names of all his children and the ones who followed him
      from Pennsylvania to Kansas to California. I then knew the name of his
      daughter who married a Childs. Through the California death records, I found
      Mrs. Childs died shortly after my greataunt, which is why we never heard
      from her again.

      It helped me piece together the lives of my greataunt, her husband and her
      stepchildren. It explained why my grandmother had an embroidered cloth with
      the words Wichita, Kansas on it. That is where my greataunt lived according
      to the 1920 U.S. Census. By 1930 she, her husband and some of his children
      with spouses and family were in Los Angeles, California. It was an
      interesting journey following their journey. Since my grandparents crossed
      back and forth to Alberta and B.C., I would love to have the 1921 and 1931
      Canada Census to know where they lived during those two periods. All the
      family are now dead, so I don't see what harm it would be for me to know
      where they were in those two decades.

      What's your census story?

      Xenia Stanford
      Editor, Chinook, 2008 Winner of the National Genealogical Society Local
      Newsletter Award
      Email; editor-chinook@...
      SIGS Contact: Ukrainian, M├ętis
      Phone: 295-3490; Fax: 274-0564