6018RE: Canadian Census

    Jun 30, 2010

      Another take on this topic and what we can do about it:

      Subject: Statistics Canada  and  loss of the 2-B form  Census 2011

      This should be of concern to all researchers:

      "A door to Canada's past has slammed shut, leaving future Canadians with little information about their own families and the country's history, in a move the government says was prompted by privacy concerns"

      Read more:

      http://www.edmontonjournal.com/technology/Restrictions+census+information+criticized/3218903/story.html#ixzz0sMTC8Mzt

      The preparation for the 2011 Census began a couple of years ago with extensive consultations with stakeholders.

      At no point did we read a summary of these consultations in which stakeholders proposed a 2A-only Census.

      This decision seems to have been made without the information gathered from researchers.

      This decision on the part of government needs to be challenged. If you are concerned I encourage you to contact your local MP :

      http://www2.parl.gc.ca/parlinfo/compilations/houseofcommons/memberbypostalcode.aspx?menu=hoc

      Submitted to a list I am on by Walter Piovesan at SFU.

      Xenia Stanford