6016Canadian Census

  • Heather Jaremko
    Jun 30, 2010

      From Dick Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter

      June 29, 2010

      Canadian Census Long Form to become Voluntary

      Listen to this article. Powered by
Odiogo.com
      A change being implemented by the Canadian government will reduce the amount of detailed information obtained by the census. The Conservative government is scrapping the mandatory long census form for the 2011 census, replacing it with a voluntary national household survey.

      The Conservative government is scrapping the mandatory long census form for the 2011 census, replacing it with a voluntary national household survey. All Canadians will still receive a mandatory short census. One in three households will be sent the new household survey as well. Previously, one in five households were sent the mandatory long-form census.

      While more people will receive the longer survey, the fact that it is voluntary means Statistics Canada will have to double its efforts to get people to respond.

      You can read more in a story written by Karina Roman on the CBC News web site at: http://www.cbc.ca/politics/story/2010/06/29/census-longform-scrapped.html#ixzz0sHzbvUgJ

      My thanks to Liza Painter for telling me about this story.
      There was also an article in today's Herald that states Canadian Census will shut out genealogists.
      Heather
  • Show all 2 messages in this topic