5944Monday May 3 AFHS library book sale

  • Lorna Laughton
    May 1 10:32 AM

      Hello Everyone:

      The AFHS meeting on Monday night will be a great one! Besides having a terrific speaker, Sherry Irvine, the AFHS library will be selling some books, CDs, magazines, and periodicals. So bring some money or your cheque book.

      The AFHS library has limited space on the shelves, so we often have to make some difficult decisions about the materials that we keep (for you, our members, and the public).

      We buy about 25 journals, and exchange (for our Chinook) about 90 periodicals with other family history societies. We keep all of the Alberta material and some other selected journals, but for the others, we keep 2 magazine boxes or 10 years worth. We will be selling – for very reasonable prices – our “leftovers”.

      As well, many wonderful people donate their extra books and magazines to us, knowing that if we already have the material or it doesn’t suit our collection that we will “pass them along” by selling them. So we have some donated material to sell. Sometimes the library buys newer editions of important genealogy references, and then we sell the older edition.

      This time, we are selling materials about England, Scotland, and Canada, along with various other countries.

      You will see our ‘star’ salespeople, Olive Carlin and Lois Nicholson, in the lobby with the sale material before the meeting and during the break.

      See you on Monday evening.

      Lorna