5877Do y'ava-tar?

    Feb 21, 2010

      Hi folks,

      Since I now am in the blogosphere and the tweetosphere aka twitosphere to some, I am aiming for the 3-D virtual world. I have been invited to create my own avatar in search of research. So I am laying down the gauntlet (yes, lots of medieval in the so-called-futuristic world!) to the rest of you to prepare to meet me in the January 2011 Chinook with your own virtual strategies to track down elusive ancestors or the latest tips, tricks and techniques. For those of you wide awake enough to say, “But I thought that was going to be in the October 2010 issue,” I say, “Bravo, but we have had to postpone that issue because this is the year of the British Home Child in Canada.” We couldn’t miss that and since July 1st is Canada Day, it seems appropriate to focus on the littlest immigrants then.

      So whet your keyboard finger(s) and get ready to send us your BHCC articles (just seeing if you are still awake and seeing straight) for the next issue. The April issue is closed and in its final stages of preparation with so many wonderful contributions. So the next issue for which we are recruiting all the next amazing submissions is July’s for which the deadline is May 1, 2010. See below for the next-four-issue lineup:

      Issue Date

      Volume, Number

      Submission Deadline

      Theme

      July 2010

      V.30, N.4

      May 1, 2010

      The British Home Child - Canada

      October 2010

      V.31, N.1

      August 1, 2010

      Culture & Customs

      January 2011

      V.31, N.2

      November 1, 2010

      Tweets & Tools

      April 2011

      V.31, N.3

      February 1, 2011

      Overlooked Resources

      Don’t say I haven’t given you enough warning and it is never too late to start. Submit anytime if early. Since we are now caught up, we will not be publishing anything that is after the deadline. We still do have items not able to fit in our jam-packed issues (and I looked at past years to see how we have really crunched in more material and are thinking of ways to continue to do so without running up extra costs – can’t just add one or two more pages for the folding to work out right and can’t add an ounce more without increasing mailing costs, in case you wondered), so we will continue to fit those in where they fit by theme or interest or space or just by editorial whimsy. If you submitted something a very long time ago and still haven’t seen it in print, remind me. It could be lost in cyberspace.

      Xenia Stanford

      Editor, Chinook, 2008 Winner of the National Genealogical Society

      Local Newsletter Award

      Email: editor-chinook@...

      SIGS Contact: Ukrainian, Métis

      Phone: 295-3490; Fax: 274-0564