5843Re: pro genealogy training in Canada?

  • Joan Miller
    Jan 8, 2010
      Hi everyone,
      Thank you for all the suggestions and various options to pursue pro genealogy courses.  I appreciate it!

      Joan Miller
      Luxegen Genealogy and Family History

      On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 5:04 PM, Tara Shymanski <tshymanski@...> wrote:
      I took the National Institute of Genealogical Studies courses through the University of Toronto, too.  Some of them were excellent.  I finished all 40 courses to get my certificate in Canadian Studies.  With the electives I was also able to take courses in Irish research or whatever country I wanted. Taking the courses taught me about all kinds of records - some that everyone knows about - and many more obscure ones.  I found the Methodology, & Analysis & Skill Building ones really helped me with research skills and organization.

      The courses are on-line and you can do them at your leisure, however, each course has a date it must be finished by.  You write an "open book" exam at the end of each course.
      Some of the courses are a bit simplistic but all in all I learned tons.

      If you want to drop by I have all the printed courses in binders at my house. You can take a look at them.

      2010/1/7 Joan Miller <luxegen@...>

      Hi fellow genealogists,
      A question for you.  Where is the best place to take courses in professional genealogy in Canada? I know there are online courses at one of the universities in the east...U of Toronto?  I really want to work my brickwall KERR family line in Quebec back to Ireland (I know this is going to be a huge challenge. Thanks for the excellent talk the other night on Irish research!).  I may be able to do this research within the confines of a course and learn more while doing.  (and now that I am 'retired', I'm supposed to have more time!  Ha!)

      There are so many accreditations out there for Pro Genealogists.  I look forward to hearing your recommendations re training and which accreditation one should strive towards here in Canada.

      Joan Miller
      Luxegen Genealogy and Family History

      Tara Shymanski, BA, PLCGS
      Researching Your Family's History