5747Chinook, SIGS and books

    Sep 27, 2009

      Hi everyone,

      I have had several inquiries about the July Chinook and now it is time for the October issue. I did the final draft of the July issue very early, sent it off to the proofreaders and they sent in their proofreading to me. The ball is in my court but I dropped it! It has been a very busy spring and summer with work, travel and a new granddaughter – some of which has been combined! I  have to travel to see my granddaughter and my last trip to Vancouver to see her was extended with a talk to the Qualicum Beach Family History Society – so all three (work, travel and granddaughter) involved! I now am downsizing my personal library and purging my files so I can get back to a very busy work schedule.

      I start working with two new clients in October, so this week I will finish the edits to the July Chinook week and start on the October issue which you should receive in November or late October. I promise to be caught up for the January issue, but I do have to lighten my volunteer load since I spend over 100 hours per issue. So here is my three-point plan:

      1.       Find an Associate Editor who can be involved in the entire process from reviewing or requesting submissions to layout and final edits. I say Associate and not Assistant because I need someone to job share rather than just assist. This means proficiency with Word – preferably Word 2007. Any volunteers contact me directly. See below.

      2.       Reduce the work involved in proofreading and editing Chinook.

      3.       Find someone to replace me as Coordinator of the Ukrainian SIG.

      Finally, I am reducing my inventory of books to what will fit on two-three shelving units rather than the former 7-8. In light of that, I will be bringing the books to the next meeting and everything must go. Prices will range from $0 to $10 per item. Garage sale prices! Most are new. Any will be free to AFHS Library. Sorry that I have no time to do a list.

      Xenia Stanford (editor-chinook@...)

      Editor, Chinook

      SIGS Contact: Ukrainian, Métis

      Phone: 295-3490; Fax: 274-0564