5431RE: Early French Handwriting

  • J. Metcalfe
    Oct 7, 2008
      Xenia,

      Why don't you open a new thread and just expound on your own opinion of computer translators, etc. without drawing me and my talk personally into it? As I keep saying, this was a thread intended to provide a specific URL to a specific person. You still have no idea what the intent and scope of my talk actually was. To be absolutely clear on that now, I just used a French example to show how computer translators function, what buttons to press, etc., to demonstrate that they will take in whole webpages, extend a Google search to look for an equivalent "foreign language" site, etc. I also gave out some additional URLs to terminology databases, genealogy word lists, number systems in other languages, etc. so that people who do use the web to translate things can do a little better than just accepting what one computer translator tells them.

      From your first post (although you weren't there), you seem to have originally assumed that the talk was too "pro-computer-translator" so you opened up with the suggestion that I was erroneous in suggesting that anyone use them to translate a French vital record with accuracy. I believe you said there was a much better way. Forgive me, but that was "ripping" into me without even taking the time to figure out where I was really coming from.

      My second post reiterated that the post was directly to a specific person, so you came back with the suggestion that I had not made my post clear to everyone who was not at the meeting. (This also seems to me to "rip" into me.) My last post said that the original post clearly did say that it was not my intent to direct this post to everyone, so now you suggest that the reason you wont take this private is that you want it is I who am misunderstanding you and not the other way around, yet you keep tying everything to a talk that you have never heard.

      Will I post it now so that you can use your superior experience in translation issues to criticize it more concretely? Not on your life. At this point, I'm of a mind that this will be the LAST talk I will agree to try to give to this club.

      Joyce