4782saving our museums

  • Lorna Laughton
    Nov 10, 2006
      Message
      Hi Everyone:

      Several weeks ago I read an article in the Calgary Herald about the Federal Government cutting funding to a "granting" program that provided grants to museums in Canada. I was annoyed that yet again some funding for our Canadian history and heritage was being withdrawn. Museums in Canada should be collecting, preserving, investigating, studying, and displaying our ancestors' history and artefacts. But how can Canadian Museums buy back artefacts & photographsset up buildings with proper conservation conditions, hire professional conservators and archivists, attract students, advertise their displays, create & maintain professional websites and catalogues, etc. without funding. I don't think that this is a "user pays" situation - our governments (federal, provincial, and municipal) should be funding heritage projects just because we have history and we're worth it. The British Isles and the United States are advanced in capturing every bit of history for fun and profit, and their actions have added to their national attractions. Anyways, there is my rant for the day.

      I was reminded of this situation by an article in Gordon Watts column of the Global Gazette (online at http://globalgenealogy.com/globalgazette/gazgw/gazgw-0093.htm ). You can read Gordon's comments. A petition has been started to present to the government about the grant situation. I linked to it from Gordon Watt's article and signed it. I encourage all of you to sign it too. I received an e-mail confirming my signature. After all, if Lois Sparling (with only a bit of help from others) can get the historical Census released, we can take on the world of museum funding and win too!

      Lorna Laughton