4660FW: Problem with 1841 Scotland Census

  • Donna Snyder
    Jul 30, 2006
      Subject: Problem with 1841 Scotland Census

      Trying to interpret this census is driving me crazy!!! If anyone has any
      ideas please pass them on, I will be so grateful for a new perspective.

      1841 Parish of Dumbarton. I know the ages after 15 were rounded down to the
      nearest 5.
      Malcolm Mcfarlan, 25, carter, born in County (b. 1812-1816)
      Janet Mcfarlan, 30, born in county (b. 1807-1811)
      Archibald "Do", 7, born in county (b. 1834)
      Malcolm "Do" Jr, 3, born in county (b, 1838) *note "Jr"
      John, "Do",1, born in county ( b.1840)
      Janet Mitchell, 11, born in county (b. 1830)

      All the other wives in the census have "Do" under their husband's name. Not
      in this case.So is she a wife or someone else?
      On the 1851 Census Parish Dumbarton there is
      Janet Mitchell, Head, 25, Widow, b. Dumbarton and
      Mary Mcfarlan, 16, sister (to Janet Mitchell), scholar, b. Dumbarton. I
      believe they are the daughters of Duncan Mcfarlan and Jean Taylor, but can
      find no relationship to Malcolm.
      Can't find a marriage for Malcolm and Janet, can't find births of kids to
      either of them, did find an Archibald b.1833 to a Ludovick and Mary.
      I believe this Malcolm married Margaret Macfarlane in 1847.(She was "of" the
      parish of Dumbarton but census show her b. in Ireland. He would be over 30,
      and Margaret was 36. They had one child b. 1848 - found on later census' so
      it's possible they may both have been married before. Why did they call
      their son Alexander? I had Malcolm all figured out, from naming patterns,
      until I got a death cert. for him, on which his son Alexander gave John
      Mcfarlan & Fanny McGregor as Malcolm's parents.( and not Malcolm & Isabella
      who had a son Malcolm b. 1815) No record of this marriage and no
      Fanny/Frances McGregor.
      I'm really stuck and have gone 'round and 'round too many times.
      Donna Snyder