4498FW: Archive CD Books Canada NEWSLETTER V2#10 - 17 February 2006

  • Gordon Lane
    Feb 17, 2006
      the original sender

      FYI

      Regards

      Gordon Lane
      Chairman
      Alberta Family Histories Society
      712-16th Ave NW,
      Calgary, AB, T2W 0J8

      chairman@...
      www.afhs.ab.ca
      (403)214-1447

      Author: Henry Campbell
      Black, M.A.

      )
      US0211: $34.40
      Containing Definitions of the Terms and Phrases of American and English
      Jurisprudence, Ancient and Modern
      As a bonus it also includes a free copy of the Second Edition (1910) on
      the same CD.

      Every genealogist, regardless of their time and place
      of interest, must have a copy of Black's Law Dictionary in their
      library. Legal terminology differs from place to place and time to
      time, and successful genealogical research depends on the clear
      understanding of this changing terminology. For genealogists the
      earlier editions of this book retain their value, since they have the
      information on older law, especially the English feudal law, which is
      essential for the interpretation of documents from the American
      colonial period and from the England that the colonists left.

      While
      these volumes contain just the sort of legal verbiage that one would
      expect, there are many other reasons for consulting these volumes.
      Terms from legal Latin and legal French are included, as well as words
      and phrases from Scottish and Welsh law. There are dozens of Latin and
      French terms of kinship, which appear in older wills and lawsuits.
      There are definitions from the lexicon of agriculture, such as "treet,"
      meaning fine wheat, and "tremesium," meaning the season or time of
      sowing summer corn.
      In the second edition, also included here, Black included more
      citations to law reports and case law, in support of his definitions.
      He also added many more terms of medical jurisprudence.

      Summary by Robert Charles Anderson, FASG
      for Archive CD Books USA

      (Description truncated)

      * Medical Lexicon. A Dictionary of Medical Science (Author: Robley
      Dunglison, M.D., LL.D.

      )
      US0226: $22.90
      This concise and factual volume is far more than just a dictionary,
      providing a wide range of medical information as it was known at the
      end of the Civil War. The author has added much to this second edition
      of his work, and has designed it to be "A French as well as an English
      medical lexicon."

      There are many areas of terminology included here,
      included anatomy, chemistry, herbal medicine, pharmacology, and many
      more. Latin and French forms of many words are given, and Latin and
      Greek etymologies are also frequent. There are also unexpected data
      sets dispersed through the volume in their proper alphabetic place,
      such as spas and health resorts, both in Europe and in the United
      States, or the terminology used in various magical systems of
      healing.

      Many of the medicines and medical conditions covered by
      this volume have multiple names, sometimes dozens, in England, French
      and Latin. Each of these names appears in its proper place in the
      alphabet, with a cross-reference to the appropriate main entry, where
      one finds not only the definition but a complete compilation of all the
      variant names. This feature especially will be very helpful in
      understanding causes of death as they may be entered in various public
      and private records.

      In many instances, the entries carry on for a
      page or more, providing information that one would expect to find in an
      encyclopedia rather than a dictionary. For example, the entry for
      "Artery" covers a page and a half, while the entry for "Cinchona" and
      its derivatives spans more than a page and describes the many types and
      uses of the bark of this tree.

      Summary by Robert Charles Anderson,
      FASG
      for Archive CD Books USA

      * The Loyalists of Massachusetts and the Other Side of the American
      Revolution (Author: James H. Stark, Pages: 608
      , Pub. Date: 1910)
      US0216: $22.90
      The author, sympathetic to the Loyalists, presents a history of the
      American Revolution in Massachusetts, from the perspective of the
      Loyalists. To this he appends about a hundred biographical and
      genealogical sketches of Massachusetts Loyalists, tracing their lives
      into England and Nova Scotia.

      Stark was a strong Anglophile, and
      the historical section begins with the settlement of Massachusetts,
      presents much background to the Revolution, and then, after a lengthy
      section on the revolutionary period itself, goes on to apply his
      antirevolutionary themes to the War of 1812 and to the Civil War.

      Throughout both the historical section and the biographical &
      genealogical section, he employs a number of terms dismissive of those
      who opposed England, calling them "disunionists," and referring to the
      "Sons of Liberty" as the "Sons of Despotism." He delights in including
      in his sketches stories of the outrages said by him to have been
      committed by the latter.

      The biographical and genealogical sketches
      begin with the male-line ancestor of the subject of the sketch, and
      then trace the line to the Loyalist himself, with some biographical
      information along the way. The story of the life of the Loyalist is
      then presented, generally with an exposition of the actions which made
      him objectionable to the revolutionary side, and his fate after leaving
      Massachusetts.

      Some of the sketches are augmented by two additional
      features, the inclusion of transcripts of official or family letters
      from the revolutionary period, and a list of the estates confiscated
      from the Loyalists (with specific reference to the Suffolk County
      deeds).

      Summary by Robert Charles Anderson, FASG
      for Archive CD
      Books USA

      Note: CA0182 Loyalists of America and Their Times from 1620 to 1816
      makes a great companion piece.

      *

      Old Churches, Ministers and Families of Virginia (Author:
      Bishop [William] Meade

      )
      US0236: $32.10
      This history of the Episcopal Church in Virginia focusses on a
      narrative of each parish in the state, with biographical and
      genealogical details on many of the early ministers and prominent
      members of that church. Complete transcripts of many colonial documents
      are included for most of the parishes.

      Like so many other
      nineteenth-century antiquaries, Bishop Meade conducted his research
      through a combination of onsite visits and correspondence with other
      antiquaries. In the preparation of this history, which was first
      published as a series of eighty newspaper articles, he attempted to
      locate and examine the surviving vestry books for each parish. In some
      cases he saw these records himself, and in other instances he relied on
      reports by others.

      Most of the articles have sprinkled through them
      extensive extracts and abstracts from colonial documents, including, in
      addition to the vestry books, court records, private letters and
      monumental inscriptions. Many of these records had not been published
      then, although many have since been placed in print in more modern and
      comprehensive editions. There are undoubtedly records here, especially
      among the letters and inscriptions, which have not been published
      elsewhere and which have subsequently been lost or destroyed.

      Most
      of the genealogical material is presented in long footnotes. Although
      this material is not documented according to modern standards, the
      author would often have obtained the information from family members
      born in the late eighteenth or early nineteenth centuries, who were in
      a position to provide reliable data on the more recent generations.
      These genealogies will provide solid clues for further research.

      Summary by Robert Charles Anderson, FASG
      for Archive CD Books USA

      ----------------------------------

      6 NEWS & GOSSIP:

      If any of you have genealogy related questions of a general nature - or
      something specifically related to Archive CD Books - we'd be glad to
      publish your question in this newsletter to tap into the enormous fund
      of knowledge which I know is out there.

      * SPECIALS:
      We are still giving away a copy of “Manners and Rules of Good
      Society,” CA0009 regularly: $19.00, absolutely free to all new
      customers. This book holds the key to the social code of 100 + years
      ago. A great help in understanding the attitudes and actions of our
      ancestors. Tell your friends NOW because we are talking about stopping
      this special.

      * SHIPPING CHARGES:
      Despite the increase in Canada Post's rates we will be maintaining our

      Our shopping cart does still tend to overcharge for multiple orders.
      If you are overcharged we will make a rebate against your credit card.
      We ONLY want to cover our costs on Postage and Packing. It's not
      another source of income. If you want to place a larger order - say 6
      or more titles - please contact us and well make sure you get the right
      shipping charges.

      * CATALOGUE CHANGE:
      Our list of books on Ontario was getting far too long so we have
      introduced another layer of sub-categories in our on-line catalogue.
      When you click on "Ontario" you will get another selection list showing
      "Directories" and "History." We debated over making the second
      category "Everything Else" but sanity prevailed so "History" it is. It
      does, however, contain everything else!

      * IN PERSON APPEARANCES:
      Archive CD Books Canada has booked to be a vendor at two Family History
      Society shows this spring. The details are in the next section of the
      newsletter. It is expensive for us to take part in these shows so we
      have to be selective, but if you know of a show - say within 500 Km of
      Ottawa - which you think we should support don't hesitate to tell us.
      We know you like to see what you are buying and we love to come out and
      meet you!

      7 FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY AND OTHER ANNOUNCEMENTS:

      The Ottawa Branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society will be holding
      it's annual genealogy conference; GENE-O-RAMA 2006 on 17 - 18 March
      2006 at Orleans United Church, 111 Orleans Blvd., Ottawa (Orleans),
      Ontario.
      For more details and registration go on-line to:
      http://www.ogsottawa.on.ca/geneorama/ or e-mail
      to:conference@... or write to: GENE-O-RAMA, c/o 6509
      Waddion Drive, Greely, ON K4P 1E7
      ARCHIVE CD BOOKS CANADA WILL BE SUPPORTING THIS MEETING.

      --------------------------------
      The British Columbia Genealogical Society presents Ken Aitken, family
      history lecturer, in seminar & lecture sessions, in Surrey & Burnaby,
      B.C., Canada.
      March 24th 2006: evening discussion seminar, "Solving Complex Research
      Problems" & March 25, 2006: daytime lectures & analysis session:
      "Distance Learning"; "Canadian Border Entry Records" & "Evaluating
      Birth Marriage & Death Information".
      Location of Lectures: Edmonds Centre, 7282 Kingsway (corner of Edmonds
      & Kingsway), Burnaby, B.C.
      Tickets for non B.C.G.S./affiliate members: $30 Friday evening (limited
      seating) & $50 Saturday sessions. Tickets available in person at
      B.C.G.S. meetings or by mail: B.C.G.S., P. O. Box 88054, Lansdowne
      Mall, Richmond, B.C., Canada V6X 3T6
      For details, including prices for B.C.G.S. & affiliate members, please
      see the B.C.G.S. website: www.bcgs.ca or call Susan Snalem 604 273 8209
      (Greater Vancouver) or e-mail Eunice Robinson at eunice@...

      ------------------------------
      The Ontario Genealogical Society is holding it's annual seminar, "From
      Buggy Whips .. to Microchips," between 26 - 28 May, 2006. It is being
      hosted this year by the Durham Region Branch of the OGS and will take
      place at Durham College & University campus, 1910 Simcoe Street N.,
      Oshawa, Ontario, L1G 4Y3.
      For full details, program and registration go on-line to:
      http://www.ogsseminar.org/index.htm , or call Anne Delong (Registrar)
      on 1-905-623-6975
      ARCHIVE CD BOOKS CANADA WILL BE SUPPORTING THIS MEETING.

      -----------------------------
      On October 13 & 14, 2006 the Alberta Family Histories Society will
      present its biennial Expo Seminar (Calgary's genealogy event of the
      year), FAMILYROOTS 2006, at the Carriage House Inn.
      For further details consult  the website:  www.afhs.ab.ca
      Your support would be much appreciated. Submitted by: BILL CAMPBELL,
      AFHS, Public Relations
      The Society kindly invited Archive CD Books Canada to attend this
      meeting but - unfortunately - we had to decline with thanks.

      DON’T FORGET WE CAN HELP YOUR GROUP TO SPREAD THE NEWS. E-MAIL US.

      8 PREVIOUSLY RELEASED BOOKS:
      Archives of this newsletter showing all the previous release
      announcements are available in the newsletter archive which can be
      reached through,
      <http://www.ArchiveCDBooks.ca/NewsletterArchive.html>

      All our newly released books are listed on our web site in the "New
      Releases and Special Offers" page. Go to:
      <http://www.archivecdbooks.ca/new.html> for an instant update on our
      new products or look through the "New Releases" category in the on-line
      catalogue.

      Archive CD Books Canada Inc.
      Attn.: Malcolm Moody - President
      P.O. Box 11,