441Re: CHINESE GENEALOGY

  • Corinne M Wegener-Pehrson
    Oct 7, 2002
      I will be out of the office until October 21/2002.

      Sincerely yours,

      Brian W. Hutchison, Esq.
      B.Comm., C.M.A., C.G., FSA(Scot)
      Chairman and President

      GENFIND Research Associates, Inc. (Head Office):
      977 Ogilvie Boulevard N.W.
      Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6R 1J9
      Tel/Fax: (780)439-4704
      E-Mail: services@...
      GEN-FIND Research Associates, Inc. (Calgary Office):
      908-34th Street S.E.
      Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2A 0Z6
      Home-Page: http://www.gen-find.com

      On Fri, 4 Oct 2002 21:46:17
      Carol Lee wrote:
      >Bill:
      >
      >If your friend will go to www.familysearch.org, click Family History Library
      >tab at the right top of the page and then Family History Catalog in the
      >purple area of the next page, she will come to a search menu for the Family
      >History Library Catalog. Click the Location bar and then enter "China".
      >There are 121 categories listed. I suspect that some may be empty at the
      >moment, but I went into some and there were sources in them. We were
      >advised a while ago that there are more records in Salt Lake which have not,
      >as yet been put in the catalog, but that anyone interested can phone the
      >Family History Library and find someone who can tell them what those
      >materials are. It probably means going through several people to find the
      >right one. If your friend is interested, I will try to help her get to the
      >right person.
      >
      >There are also some interesting things that are coming from the LDS church.
      >Some records are being extracted right now from private sources (old family
      >records which have been discovered). Also, the Chinese government asked for
      >help some time ago because they felt their records were deteriorating. A
      >group from the Family History Library helped them get equipment to film
      >their records and trained their people in how to do the filming. I believe
      >that is now in progress. They have said they will make copies available to
      >the Family History Library. As far as I know that hasn't happened yet, but
      >it is something to look forward to in the near future.
      >
      >PAF 5 is also being made available in Chinese, if that makes a difference.
      >
      >By the way, I think it makes a difference whether your friend is searching
      >for Hong Kong or for mainland China. The above information applies more or
      >less to mainland China
      >
      >Carol Lee

      Watch a championship game with Elway or McGwire.
      Enter Now at http://champions.lycos.com